Just wondering if I should be concerned about my pekin duck. She is a 6 months old female and over the last few days iv

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi there. Just wondering if I should be concerned about my pekin duck.
She is a 6 months old female and over the last few days iv noticed that she seems to have this dirt like look on her feathers. She has a swim and cleans herself but it doesn't look like the dirt comes off much? She's acting completely normal and seems fine. I wanted to know if she looks underweight aswell?
Answered by BeverlyC1016 in 7 hours 1 year ago
imglogo
BeverlyC1016
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Bird Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Avian Medicine, Poultry Veterinary Medicine

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Beverly Chevallier, and I would like to help you with your duck today. I am sorry you are having concerns with your duck having dirt on her feathers and possibly being thin.

We act in an advisory capacity only and are unable to physically examine your animal and are only able to give you advice.

I have been a practicing veterinarian for awhile, and I would like to try to help you. First, I need some information. Provide as many details as possible about your situation and I will be glad to try to help.

Where do you live and what is the weather like there? That could be important. (And I’m very curious to know where you live and what your weather is like there, too…)

Unfortunately, we are unable to prescribe medications on this site, but we can offer alternatives to prescription products and we can help you find them in the stores near you.

This is not a full service veterinary service, so we are not able to physically examine your animal, but you can send pictures and videos and they are immensely helpful with our diagnoses and will greatly aid in the accurate advice we give to you about your animal.

Just Answer will ask you if you want a phone call.  You are under no obligation to accept that.  I will be glad to talk to you on the phone if you prefer, but I will also be glad to keep chatting via text.

Your question does not have a time stamp on it and I apologize ahead of time if your question has not been answered in a timely manner.

The more information I have, the more likely I will be able to assist you.

Thank you.

Dr Beverly Chevallier

What is your duck's name?

Her feathers do look a little rough, but she looks normal.

In order to see if she is thin, you will need to feel of her keel (breast bone) and see if is sticking out more than the other ducks'.  Feeling of her is really the only way to tell.  Feel her and feel another one to compare them.  Her feathers are too fluffy to be able to see anything from the outside.

She looks ok to me, but feel of her and if she is thin, you should take a fecal sample in to your veterinarian to check for internal parasites.

I have to step away for a few minutes.  I will be right back.

Let me know if I can help.

Customer
her name is pepper.
I have felt her keel and if feels fine.
I am a Veterinary Nurse also, we just don't have an avian vet where I work that can help me.
I live in Sydney Australia.
It is our spring season at the moment.
ill take some faeces in to my work and do a faecal float. is there any symptoms I should watch for in regards ***** ***** feathers? it doesn't look like wet feather but the dirt isn't exactly coming off when she is swimming/cleaning

I wouldn't worry about the feathers if the fecal is good. It should be ok.

Customer
okay no worries. she has been laying fine the last month or so, I have noticed she's in her nest laying alot and roosting. would this have contribute to anything?

Oh, if she is sitting in her nest, she might be nesting and wanting to hatch eggs.  That might be making her act oddly and might account for the ruffled feathers.

Customer
okay.
that makes sense! Shes never really nested this much or acted odd before. she's been laying for about 6 weeks now
Customer
could this behaviour still happen even if I do not have any males. she just lives with 2 other females (her sisters)

Oh, yes,  they will sit there and be broody for several weeks until they just give up.  It's perfectly natural.

Customer
okay great thats good. hopefully this it what it is then

Yes, I hope so.  That is what is sounds like.

Customer
okay no worries
she has a raspy like quack too? would this be due due her being broody?

Yes, it could be.  They "talk" to their babies.

Customer
Okay no worries. She is well otherwise. She's eating and drinking fine too :)

That sounds good.

Please keep me updated on Pepper.

If I can ever help you with any of your animals, please just text me back here and I will get the message much faster than if you post it on the site.  I will help you all I can.

Thank you,

Dr Beverly

Customer
Thankyou so very much :) I really appreciate that :)

You are welcome

Customer
iv just taken this video of her walking this morning. She is still doing fine. She's just making all these different noises and looks strange in her lower belly area.
Customer
photo
Customer
photo 2
Customer
im concerned that this is her keel. She won't really let me have a good feel of it.
Customer
she actually let me feel it when she was eating.
her keel wasn't sticking out alot at all. I can just feel it but there is some fat covering the keel which is good.
Iv never had ducks before so this behaviour and appearance is very new to me.

How is her appetite?

Customer
yeah she hasn't lost her appetite. if she is nesting she will come out and eat, she still get really excited about food and she ate fine this morning
Customer
she is also still bossing the other girls around for food too!

I'd say if she is eating and walking around good, she is probably ok.

Customer
okay no worries.
sorry about all these questions. iv never experienced anything like this

If you could send a video, I'd like to see how she is talking and moving.

Customer
yeah sure.
I can't seem to send any videos on here?

You should be able to attach it just like a photo.

Customer
thats my attachment screen. It says videos but won't allow me to click on it :(

Oh well.  Sorry about that.

Customer
Thats okay :)

Keep me updated on little Pepper.

Customer
I will do! thankyou

You are welcome.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
BeverlyC1016
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
BeverlyC1016
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.