She is acting very listless. It has been gettin worse over the last two weeks. We initially tried a dewormer recommended

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: She is acting very listless. It has been gettin worse over the last two weeks. We initially tried a dewormer recommended but the poultry department at our local feed store. Her feather stay wet every time she swims. She doesn’t want to leave the barn- I have to carry her to the pond so she can clean herself up and get out and about.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How has the bird's appetite been? Any changes in her stool?
Customer: Toulouse Goose 2 yo
JA: Could she have eaten something unusual?
Customer: She has completely stopped foraging, but acts ravenous when we give her peas, bird feed, or cracked corn
JA: And what's the bird's name and age?
Customer: She is 2. Her name is Goose (her partner is Maverick)
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: $ Her eyes are clear and there is no discharge from eyes or nose. Poo is normal
Answered by Kay T. DVM in 14 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Kay T. DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Bird Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Avian Medicine, Poultry Veterinary Medicine

HI there, my name is*****  I'm sorry to hear about your goose.  I will try to help give you some advice but it is of course hard to diagnose an animal without having it in front of me.  Does the goose walk on its own?  What diet are you using?

Customer
The goose can walk on her own, but is doing less and less of it. She used to spend all day foraging over our 14 acres, but now spends her time in the barn. She used to eat predominantly grass, but now is mainly eating chicken feed
Customer
I give all of the water birds peas regularly

Thank you for this information, is she laying?

Customer
She usually only lays in the spring and fall; but she is only 2 so there hasn't been time for a lengthy pattern

The eggs she laid, were they normal?

Customer
Hi

The reason I am asking these questions is that sometimes geese can develop nutritional deficiencies, such as Niacin or Vit D and Calcium, which can predispose them to leg issues.  You'll see enlarged joints, easily fractured bones, etc.  My concern for this is increased with your bird with her diet being mostly derived from foraging.

Customer
We have always put the ducks and geese in the barn at night- they have always spent the day foraging and have full access to chicken feed from dusk until they leave the barn in the morning

The niacin requirement for geese is for instance higher than it is for chickens.  55–70 mg/kg.

Customer
Her joints and feet appear normal and not swollen or sensitive to the touch
Customer
She just coughed up a bunch of fluid and stumbled off the dog bed she was on

She sounds almost as though she's in critical condition, am I understanding that right?  It may be best to get her in for care to any local vet that can see her as soon as feasible.

Customer
I have been spending all day calling every local vet and no one will see her. A vet friend from high school sent me this link

That's what is tricky about birds unfortunately and we're fairly limited on here obviously.  What does her crop feel like?

Big and squishy?

Customer
Big and squishy I suppose.
Customer
All of the feathers on her back are also broken from a pushy drake who doesn't want to stick to his own kind. At first we thought all of this was stress from his incessant mounting, but we do our best to keep him away from her

It's possible given the spitting up that you just saw that the crop could potentially be impacted as well (given history of grazing on tall grass and such) so you could try to clear it if it feels bigger than it should be.  If it were my bird, I would probably keep it on oral fluids with some sort of drench mix in it (like nutri-drench for instance) and keep her comfortable.  It's very hard to do much more from your standpoint if you can get her into a veterinarian to run further testing and perform a full exam.  Unfortunately the signs are pretty non-specific so would require more a work up to really determine the cause.  If she makes it through this episode (positive thoughts your way), I would make sure she has access to a balanced diet formulated for geese as they can be a little sensitive nutrition wise sometimes when it comes to minerals and such.

Customer
Thank you. Hopefully the local feed store sells nutri-drench

There is a laundry list of infectious etiologies that can cause similar non-specific signs but I think the best you can do, without access to a vet, is the oral fluids (only fluids for the next 24 hours) with the drench and keeping her comfortable are the best you can do.  The local store should have something specific to poultry, most of them do.  Feel free to reach back out, I'm sorry most vets don't see birds, sending positive thoughts your way.  There are youtube videos to clearing crops out but it's a two person job.

Customer
Thank you

You're welcome.  Take care.

Have a nice weekend.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Kay T. DVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Kay T. DVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.