A coyote attacked my backyard flock last week and killed four of my birds. I have two remaining. Both of these hens lay

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: A coyote attacked my backyard flock last week and killed four of my birds. I have two remaining. Both of these hens lay eggs every single day. Since the attack, neither has laid an egg. One is very active and doing fine. The other won't come out of her nesting box unless I prod her. She also has her butt up in the air and her chin down. I have given her multiple epson salt baths and checked her over for any injuries, but nothing. I have also given her tums, crushed up for calcium in case she is egg impacted. I did get her to eat a little out of my hand yesterday and this morning. Any suggestions?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does the hen do this all the time or only sometimes?
Customer: She has never done this. Since the attack last Thursday she wants to remain in the nesting box.
JA: And what's the hen's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is nine months old.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No that is it.
Answered by BrittanyB426 in 1 min 1 year ago
imglogo
BrittanyB426
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi there! Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is*****’m sorry to hear about the attack on your girls

Customer
it was devastating.
Customer
it was devestating.

I can imagine. I have had predators get my birds before and it is tragic and infuriating.

Customer
I just don't know if my hen is in trama mode or if something else is wrong.

With the amount of stress that they experienced, I am not surprised they aren’t laying eggs. Though something else may be underlying for Frankie as wel

Have you tried to palpate her gently to see if you can feel a egg?

If it’s closer to coming out you can often feel it but if it’s stuck higher up the only way to tell that is through an x-ray

Customer
I have massaged her and also tried to feel for an egg but didn't feel anything.
Customer
there is nothing I can do at this point?

Has she done any coughing/sneezing, or having trouble breathing? The stress could have brought out an infection or it could have injured her lungs

Customer
Nope none of that.
Customer
She wasn't eating or drinking but she did eat out of my hand yesterday and this morning.

If you have a vet in the area that is willing to see chickens they may have more insight through a hands on exam, but if she is starting to eat a little again that is prom

Customer
I am watching her closely. Just wondered if there was anything else I could be doing.

Otherwise I would recommend putting her in a different cage, with the other one if possible, in a warm environment (minimal 70 degrees) and continue to encourage food and water

If you can get an electrolyte water mix, that could help boost her. My favorite is Poultry Cell by Rooster Booster

Customer
Well, I live in Florida and it is very hot out. I closed off all the windows etc, to keep the nesting area dark, but the other one can go in an out.
Customer
okay thanks.

I would take her out of the nesting box so it encourages her to not just hide

Customer
Okay. I can put her in another cage.

Excellent. It sounds like you have done quite a bit for her, and I’m hoping the electrolytes help her through this so she can go back to enjoying life again. But do not be surprised if they take an extended break from laying

Customer
that is common after trauma like this? Plus two the ones killed were her babies that were four months old.

It’s not common but it can happen, usually it’s only a short break

Customer
Okay. Thank you for your help.

Any injury, illness, or stress can disrupt their normal cycles

You are very welcome, best of luck to you and Frankie. Again I’m very sorry for your loss of your other ones

Customer
Thanks.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
BrittanyB426
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
BrittanyB426
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.