I have a gold laced wyandotte hen, she had a prolapsed vent two days ago. I gave her a warm water soak, applied

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi, I have a gold laced wyandotte hen, she had a prolapsed vent two days ago. I gave her a warm water soak, applied Veterycin poultry antiseptic to the area, with a clean gloved hand tucked it back in place, and isolated her from the other 5 chickens to keep her from being pecked at. Yesterday she seemed all better, and was eating and running around. This morning she was all huddled on her perch and not very active. Vent looked fine. I picked her up to check her, but she deficated some clearish substance, then some green runny poo, and so I put her back into the cat carrier to keep her calm and dark and quiet. Anything else I can do for her?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Have you noticed any changes in the hen's appetite?
Customer: yes she's not wanting to eat
JA: Could she have eaten something unusual?
Customer: no, I don't think so.
JA: What's the hen's name and age?
Customer: Virginia, 11 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: thank you that's the big one, prolapsed vent
Answered by BrittanyB426 in 30 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
BrittanyB426
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi there! Welcome to JustAnswer, I am Dr. Brittany. I’m sorry to hear Virginia is not feeling well
Has she laid an egg since her prolapse?
Customer
no, when i picked her up this morning to look at her vent, she leaked what looked to be an egg white and some yellow, but no shell
Oh dear, that usually isn’t a good sign. I would be concerned that she may have either been egg bound and it ruptured, or she now has inflammation of her reproductive tract, called salpingitis. Is there a way she can be seen by a veterinarian in your area? An x-ray would help determine if she is egg bound
I’m sorry I am unable to take your call but can continue the chat for you and help as best as I can. Otherwise I can opt out to see if another expert would take the call if you would prefer
Customer
That's okay chat is fine. I live on orcas island, and will need to take her to the mainland via ferry to get her to the vet. I will see if I can get her there today.
Customer
If she is egg bound, is there anything I can do for her?
If you are willing to do that, that would be best as she may need antibiotics or other care. If you aren’t able to get her seen, you could try electrolytes in the water and another warm water soak. You could also put a glove on and gently place a finger into her vent to see if she has an egg close
If she does have an egg there, a warm water soak followed by placing her in a dark, warm and quiet room can sometimes help them pass it on their own
Calcium supplementation can help, I have done this by baking eggshells and offering with food, or mixing with a little water and giving by syringe
Customer
Okay I will try the electrolytes in water as warm soak now, in any case, as a ferry may take a while. I will try the calcium too. For electrolytes, what can I give her? I did try with a gloved hand to find an egg and I did not find anything. Her abdomen did feel warm and maybe inflamed, but I don't have experience to compare it to another abdomen, this is the first prolapse I have delt with.
I typically use a premade poultry electrolyte mix but you could dilute a little Vitamin B complex with water.
It sounds like you did a great job with the prolapse. They are prone to more prolapses and sometimes need to be “spayed” if it happens repeatedly. I would keep away from a rooster for a while. But the prolapse may have caused either an infection or an egg bound type scenario that is causing her to still be ill
I will warn you, if she is developing an egg yolk peritonitis situation, the prognosis is poor. I have not had a patient survive that yet, unfortunately
Customer
Okay, I'll do what I can for her. Thank you so much for your help with this. I really appreciate it!
You are very welcome! She is lucky to have an owner willing to help her. Best of luck to you and Virginia, chickens are truly the best!
Customer
Loved “You are very welcome! She is lucky to have an owner willing to help her. Best of luck to you and Virginia, chickens are truly the best!”
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
BrittanyB426
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
BrittanyB426
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.