I have a ring necked parakeet. On one said of his head looks like the feathers are gone and his beak is changing colors.

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a ring necked parakeet. On one said of his head looks like the feathers are gone and his beak is changing colors. He has a good appetite and is active. His feathers are dull.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this? Has the parakeet been licking or rubbing the skin?
Customer: About a week ago, he does not rub or lack himself anymore than normal. I have put some mineral tablets in his water starting yesterday
JA: And what's the parakeet's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he's about 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Hershel?
Customer: No everything else is normal as far as I can tell, its just the side of his head and neck
Answered by DavidH1117 in 1 day 1 year ago
imglogo
DavidH1117
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Bird Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Avian Medicine, Poultry Veterinary Medicine

Hi, I'm Dr. Hannon. I'll be assisting you this evening. Can you upload a picture of the area in question? Typically birds that have feather damaging behaviors aren't able to pluck the feathers on their own head, although some birds (usually eclectus parrots) will rub their heads to the point that the feathers are damaged or missing. If there's another bird in the cage, then it could be overly aggressive allopreening. A third possibility would be some sort of medical disorder, like dermatitis, external parasites, a thermal burn, or even circovirus infection (PBFD). Once you upload a picture, I may be able to give you more information.

Customer
Can you see the area ok or should I try again
Customer
Customer attachment 2/15/2021 10:55:53 PM
Customer
I'm sorry, I only text or email, I cannot hear on the phone

From the looks of it, I think that you might be dealing with a sinus infection on the right side. If birds get dried mucus on their feathers, it clumps them and makes the much easier to remove. Also, the main area of feather loss under the eye is right where the infraorbital sinus resides. This sinus can easily get impacted and become painful, causing the bird to rub the area. It would be a good idea to take him to a qualified avian veterinarian. You can find one near you at aav.org.

Customer
Thank you I will do that.

You're welcome

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
DavidH1117
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
DavidH1117
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.