My eclectus is sneezing and his nostrils are wet but clear (no ). He seems a bit tired but he ate normally. I’m worried

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My eclectus is sneezing and his nostrils are wet but clear (no green snot). He seems a bit tired but he ate normally. I’m worried he may sick. He’s only 4 months old.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of bird is Eclectus?
Customer: Parrit parrot
JA: How long has Eclectus been lethargic? Any changes in his appetite?
Customer: Maybe a day? No changes in appetite.
JA: Could he have eaten something unusual?
Customer: No? But he has been hanging around my other birds (cockatiels and parakeets).
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Eclectus?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** he is an eclectus parrot
Answered by Dr. Michael Salkin in 15 hours 1 year ago
imglogo
48+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Bird Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Avian Medicine, Poultry Veterinary Medicine

You're correct to be concerned. The complex anatomy of the infraorbital sinuses and diverticula of birds lends itself to the establishment and persistence of upper respiratory tract infections. When combined with factors such as hypovitaminosis A - a lack of vitamin A in the diet (causing pathologic changes in the lining of the sinuses and decreased normal function and resistance to infection), irritation of the sinus linings (e.g., ammonia toxicosis in poorly ventilated, unhygienic cages and aviaries), cigarette smoke, or other aerosol pollutants), extremes of humidity (too dry, too moist), it's little wonder that such infections are common in birds.

Infectious agents are usually secondary invaders taking advantage of the conditions described above. They include bacteria, viruses, fungi, and even parasites. Jasper will require the services of an avian vet (www.aav.org) who will attempt to clarify which type of infection is present and then treat specifically. It's important to recognize that once a parrot acts ill it's already quite ill.

Until Jasper can be attended to, please heat up his environment to 85F by means of a 100W bulb shined into his partially covered cage (not at night when he needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of his cage. If he appears weakened, remove his perches and put his food and water on the bottom of the cage along with him. Add a water-soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand Vita-Drops to his water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make his water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to his water. These supplements are available in pet/feed stores. Avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in his water. They won't be effective if only because an ill bird won't drink enough to medicate itself properly.

Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has Jasper's diet consisted of, please? Seeds should comprise less than 20% of his diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard-boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese - yes these low lactose foods are safe, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat. Here are some tricks in transitioning Jasper to pellets: https://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/using-our-foods/diet-conversion/

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow up in this venue and so please return to our conversation with an update at your convenience.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
logo
logo
logo
48+ years of experience
imglogo
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.