It's a parakeet and starting last night, it has seemed more tired than normal and has its fathers fluffed up more often

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: It's a parakeet and starting last night, it has seemed more tired than normal and has its fathers fluffed up more often than not. It is still eating and drinking, no more or less than normal, but my son said he saw it Bob it's head and throw up.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does the vomit look liquidy or foamy? Is there food in it?
Customer: I honestly don't know, I didn't see it. My son is 10, he said that she (not really sure the seed, we just call it she) bobbed her head and that it was like a small line of something, he couldn't specify if it was mucousy but said it wasn't foamy.
JA: Could he have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of. We keep a pretty close eye on them and they don't have free range in the house because we also have dogs, so if they're out of the cage, they're closely monitored.
JA: What's the parakeet's name?
Customer: Luna
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Luna?
Customer: I don't think so. We've had her for about 7 months and this is the first time anything has seemed off.
Answered by DrNickiDVM in 15 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
DrNickiDVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, I'm an emergency veterinarian with over 20 years of experience with baby and exotic pets. Do you think this is a young bird? Do you think she's losing weight? Is she breathing normally? What is in her vomit, chewed up food or clear? Is there any chance she chews on metallic things in the house or in her cage?
Customer
I would say she's between 8 months to a year old, my son saw her throw up and said it looked a little yellow. I have never seen her chew on anything metallic and she's not allowed to run free in the house, we keep a very close eye on her when she out of the cage. I try to keep her food dish clean and full and make sure she has millet and an occasional treat stick. I keep a cuttle bone in the cage for her and perches to keep her nails filed down. She seems to be breathing normally.
I'm glad her breathing is normal. How many times do you know of that she has thrown up?If she is young like under a year, my first thought would be potentially she has a yeast infection in her crop. That is treatable with medication but needs to be diagnosed with a swab looking under the microscope. But I do also worry about metal toxicity for any bird who's vomiting, it would only be a flake off of a person's ring or necklace to cause the problem.
Customer
As far as I know she's only thrown up once. We got her from a pet store about 7 months ago and I believe she was fully grown then. Nobody that handles her really wears any jewelry so I don't think that would be a problem. I just cleaned the cage and all of the droppings looked normal. I don't use soap when I clean the cage, just very hot water and a scrub brush (when needed). She does have one swing perch that has metal hooks that it swings from, but I've never seen her chew at them.
Right, metal that's on a bird toy or furniture is treated so that it doesn't flake off and should not pose a risk.
Customer
That's good news.
she's thrown up once and she's breathing okay, how is she acting now? Are her feathers fluffed? Have you seen her eat since she's thrown up?
Customer
Her feathers are still fluffed, but she has eaten some millet since she throwing up.
Customer
Right now she has her head tucked back to sleep
it sounds like she's feeling better. Although vomiting is a worrisome thing in a bird.
I would recommend changing out the bottom of her cage so you can pay attention to if she's producing enough droppings and if they're still looking normal tomorrow.
Customer
Will do.
I would also turn the heat up in your house a little bit, not with the space heater because some of those are dangerous to birds, but just turning the heat up in general because that helps birds who are sick. And you may need to take her to the vet because we don't know what's wrong with her but hopefully she starts to feel better very soon.
Customer
Thank you. How long should I wait to take her to the vet if she doesn't seem to start feeling better?
Watch her breathing and make sure she keeps eating and having normal amount and normal looking droppings. Make sure she's not getting bony. If she never vomits again and is feeling a lot better by morning, I don't know that I would need to take her, but if she's not quite right or is continuing to vomit or breathe fast or not eat, then she should go sooner like tonight.
Customer
Ok, I'll keep a close eye on her. Thank you.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
DrNickiDVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
DrNickiDVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.