My daughter’s budgie seemed to suddenly develop the following symptoms yesterday afternoon: very quiet, puffed up,

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My daughter’s budgie seemed to suddenly develop the following symptoms yesterday afternoon: very quiet, puffed up, sleeping/lethargic, runny poop. Until then he was active, flying around, chirping. He’s still eating and drinking though.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have you noticed any changes in the budgie's appetite?
Customer: No. He still seems to be eating normally
JA: Could he have eaten something unusual?
Customer: not that we are aware of. When he’s out of the cage we watch him closely. Normally she gives him broccoli every other day, but hasn’t for about a week. That’s the only diet change
JA: And what's the budgie's name and age?
Customer: Sky. We are guessing around 5-6 months. He just finished molting and the cere color became purple
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: not that I can think of.
Answered by DrRoyC in 15 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
DrRoyC
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Bird Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Avian Medicine, Poultry Veterinary Medicine

Hello, DrRoy79 responding to your message regarding Sky. Know it's worrisome when our small feathered friends are sick. As a survival mechanism birds hide signs of illness until in a crisis. Please wrap cage with towels on three side and top to keep warm, lower food and water bowls and perches to make it easier. Photos and video Help, use paper clip icon and please upload. I'll await your response so we can discuss further
Customer
As I went to take the picture and video, he moved quickly to his food and started eating. Now he’s back in this position.
Customer
He is preening and my daughter watched him drink water today too
Photo of Sky, Helps, Thanks. He is sitting low on perch, wide stance, and fluffy, all are signs of a sick bird.
https://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803
Avian veterinarian locator and please go online to an avian veterinarian. Survival rate is greatly improved by seeing an avian veterinarian.
Customer
I can’t get video to load, but he keeps opening/closing his beak and almost rubbing his tongue. No vocalizations and he’s normally a noisy bird
He most likely has a respiratory infection.
Customer
Ok. Thank you
https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/nursing-care-for-sick-pet-birds
https://lafeber.com/vet/wp-content/uploads/Avian-First-Aid.pdf
Links that maybe useful
Welcome, our thread remains open for five days follow up questions and concerns are welcome. DrRoy79
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
DrRoyC
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
DrRoyC
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.