I bought a budgie and the breeder clipped one wing, but cut it so short that it bled. Now her tail seems to be veering

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi, I bought a budgie and the breeder clipped one wing, but cut it so short that it bled. Now her tail seems to be veering to the side of her unclipped wing. Is there anything I can do to help her with this?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How badly is the budgie bleeding? When did this start?
Customer: It started bleeding as soon as they cut her feathers! This was on July 2. Her wing healed, but her tail has started veering to the left in the last couple of days.
JA: What's the budgie's name?
Customer: Fudge
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: She was being bullied by another budgie at the breeder's house and had her neck feathers pulled out by the other bird, these don't seem to be growing back too. Thanks! Customer: Chat is completed
Answered by Jeanne Smith in 12 hours 2 years ago
imglogo
Jeanne Smith
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Bird Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Avian Medicine, Poultry Veterinary Medicine

Hi, this is Dr Jeanne Smith. I just came on line and saw your request. I'm sorry no one else was able to respond to you sooner. Has your bird tried to fly and has had crash landings?
Customer
Hi, the budgie has definitely had crash landings, she's unable to fly any further than just taking off. I've actually decided to take the budgie to the vet here for them to inspect her. Thanks for your help! Kind regards, Beth.
Hi, Beth, I'm glad you were able to get local vet care. I was worried your bird may have injured the pygostyle (the bony base of the tail) in a crash. Those usually heal with cage rest, sort of like when people injure their "tailbone" and rest it by sitting on donut pillows.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jeanne Smith
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jeanne Smith
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.