It could be just her night time ritual. She was roosting and allowed me super close never done that before. Kept closing

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: It could be just her night time ritual. She was roosting and allowed me super close never done that before. Kept closing her eyes just odd moving slow
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of bird are we talking about?
Customer: Laying hen we got them back in march
JA: How has the hen's appetite been? Any changes in her stool?
Customer: I believe she is eating well in with 11 others. I feed the higher quality chicken feed along with scratch grains and a pecking block.she is one of our larger birds
JA: Could she have eaten something unusual?
Customer: They are in a poultry run not anything I can think of
JA: What's the hen's name?
Customer: Oreo
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: They all have had clear eyes, scales are smooth. I clean them twice a week. My first time with chickens. I thought of bringing a stool specimen in just as a flock health check. All others acting fine
Answered by Dr. Frederickson in 2 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Frederickson
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Good evening, I am happy to assist you today!

JustAnswer always offers a phone call for an additional charge; please feel free to accept or decline as you see fit; I am happy to speak with you either way.

As JustAnswer policy states, due to state law, vets cannot prescribe any medications via the internet without a physical VCPR (vet-client-patient-relationship) so if prescriptions are recommended, you can get these from your family vet.

Can you tell me how old Oreo is? Have you noticed any other changes in her behavior?

Customer
We bought her in March of this year. She seemed fine yesterday. They started laying eggs at the beginning of this month. Not sure if she is just tired ,also not a 100% on whom is producing she is in with 11 others.
Customer
They have a 6ftby8ft coop and a 8 by8 foot poultry run completely enclosed I rack the run out acouple times a week. I'm adding on more outdoor room as we speak.

Was she a young pullet or an adult when you purchased her? Has her comb had a normal apperance?

Customer
Pullet all were, comb?
Customer
Sorry not familiar with all terminology

*appearance. Sorry about that. Are any of your other chickens displaying similar signs?

Comb/wattle- normal pink area? The comb is the little "crown" of tissue on top of their head. The wattles are the dangling pieces under their cheeks.

Customer
Her eyes are clear, scales on her legs smooth

That is good. Do you think her energy and appetite have otherwise been normal?

Customer
All clear in those areas I think so. I'm going to go check on her. It has been hot as well. If I need I'll separate her and feed her separately get a good idea of how she is doing.
Customer
Her posture just seemed off, but it was after 8pm and she was roosting maybe I'm over worrying.

OK, thank you. Give me a moment while I type a longer response.

For chickens, the main sign that they are feeling ill can often be subtle. I tend to look for pale combs/wattles first (pale pink to white, even lavender or blue in color), as well as a lack of energy, not wanting to get up and move, not eating or drinking, etc. I also watch how they seem to stand when they are at a distance from me. If she has a hunched or squatted appearance, this can often be an indication she is not feeling well.

Normal temperature on a chicken is about 104-109 F, much higher than a person! If she will let you, you can always try taking her temperature in the morning. If she seems uncomfortable, isn't wanting to move, or if she has a fever, I would recommend moving her to a quiet area by herself. Sometimes keeping these girls in a quiet area can help them start to feel more at ease, help them drink more water, and let their bodies return to normal. It also helps you notice if an individual chicken is eating or drinking, as well as laying eggs.

If you notice her color is off tomorrow, she seems lethargic, over/under temperature, etc, I would separate her from the flock. At minimum, adding some electrolytes and probiotics to the water can be helpful. Sometimes in hot summers these girls just don't drink enough and can become dehydrated. The electrolytes also will add a little extra energy to help her feel better.

Does this help answer what to check for tomorrow? What else can I answer for you tonight?

Customer
Ok will do thank you. Her temp just a rectal prob?
Customer
Or beneath a wing?

Typically a rectal temp, such as with a digital thermometer.

Customer
Thankyou!

You are welcome, I wish you all the best for Oreo! I hope she is feeling like herself tomorrow.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible; I hope I have earned a 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen or click on the link in your email from Just Answer. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know; you can access this page even after you accept the question and rate me. Thank you!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Frederickson
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Frederickson
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.