My Parakeet has fallen three times to the bottom of the cage. He lets me picking him up, which is very unusual. I just

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My Parakeet has fallen three times to the bottom of the cage. He lets me picking him up, which is very unusual. I just got done cleaning his bottom for it was dirty. Fecal was very loose
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you notice this looseness? Did the parakeet eat anything unusual?
Customer: Just today for he never lets me pick him up. Only when he falls and is like in a daze. Then I can pick him up.. Had for about two months. He is about a year old
JA: What's the parakeet's name?
Customer: Moe
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Since I got him, he always seemed off balance especially at night Customer: Chat is completed
Answered by Jeanne Smith in 50 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Jeanne Smith
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Bird Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Avian Medicine, Poultry Veterinary Medicine

Welcome to JA. I'm Dr. Jeanne Smith. I'll do my best to help you with home support care and advice for the best course of action. What you're describing sound like he may have a neurologic problem. Because it's been going on for so long it could be a toxic exposure to something before you got him or it could be a congental problem like epilepsy or heart disease. Is he very thin? If he's very thin he could just be very weak and have other things that cause weight loss and weakness, making it seem like a neurologic condition.

Customer
Think he's a little big. Loves to eat. No problems there
Customer
No need to call. Fine doing it this way
Customer
What is the best thing to do �� I knew I was taking a risk in getting him from a pet store that had 15 other Parakeets all together. Really enjoying having him

If he isn't thin then it sounds like this is a neurologic problem. You'll need to get him to an avian veterinarian for diagnosis to see if it is a treatable cause like a toxin or manageable like epilepsy. There are medications that can help with the episodes of falling and looking dazed. In the meantime, put him in small cage with a folded towel at the bottom with paper over that so it pads any falls he has. Or you can put him in a carrier so he can't perch and fall.

Customer
Can't afford to pay for this. What will happen if I can't take him. Will I eventually loose him. Doesn't seem in pain. No unusual sounds or movement. This is a difficult time for us due to the virus. Thank You
Customer
Am taking good care of him
Clean cage, food and water. Cushioned the bottom of cage. Give lots of TLC. Play some music and loves the TV.

If he has epilepsy he'll probably stay the same as he is now or maybe get more frequent episodes of falling. If you're keeping him in an environment where his falls won't injure him, he can probably live with that. If he has a zinc toxicosis if he's no longer exposed to that he should eventually get better without treatment. Just to be sure, do you use vegetable twist ties to attach things in his cage? If so, does he chew on them? Does he chew on any hardware or rubber objects? does he chew on any painted surfaces?

Customer
Thank You �� I will keep the bottom cushioned. Keep everything clean and feed. Does this mean, it's not a good idea to let him out of his cage to fly. Afraid he may fall onto the hard floor
Customer
Also should I put the perches lower. Have another bird, same kind but female. Absolutely no health problem at all. Just very protective of him

I think it safest to wing trim him so he can't attempt to fly. If you put the perches lower he may just try to climb higher, birds like being as high as they can. See what he does, but if he climbs and clings to the cage side, put the perches back up.

Customer
Wish not to clip wings. Better to not let him out �� Will keep Perches the same. Is watched carefully
Customer
Also bottom was very dirty. Cleaned as best I can. He eats and sleeps all day . Does play a little but not much. Give Volkman Parakeet food daily and �� carrots only every so often. Thank You

You're welcome.

Customer
Any more advice to give me with this special Parakeet of mine. ��Thank you for all the advice you have given. I feel better having some idea of what's going on
Customer
Like should he be let out

Not if he's going to fly. If he has an episode while flying he can hurt himself badly.

Customer
Thank You from Moe, blue �� one and Bonita
Customer
Gave excellent advice. Friendly, kind and professional. Her advice helped me understand what is wrong with the Parakeet. .Highly Recommend �� ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

You're welcome. Thank you for the kind words.

Customer
I'm sorry �� to say but the Parakeet named Moe died. I knew something was wrongly but never thought I would loose Jim this quickly. Worried about the other bird whole is looking around for him. Any suggestions ��
Customer
Sorry about the spelling. Still crying ��
I'm so sorry to hear he died. You can offer her a mirror or a cut out photo of a parakeet about her size.

I'm so sorry to hear Moe died. I sent a reply a little while ago but I guess it didn't send. You can offer her a mirror or you can cut out a photo of a parakeet about her size and put it up to the side of the outside of her cage.

Customer
My Parakeet Moe passed away today. Hours later the other one is plucking her feathers. Looking around for the other bird. How can I help my grieving female bird Bonita. Afraid she won't have any feathers left. Help me please

Did you see my response about trying a mirror or a cutout photo of a parakeet? If those don't work she will accept another bird so you could get her a new one.

Customer
Bonita can be aggressive at times. How long shouldI I wait before getting a new one. Also I'll try seperate cages because of how this one is. She loves the mirror and that's helping her. Am I doing the right thing ��

If you don't want to get a new bird right away, try the mirror for a few days and see how she does. If you decide to get a new bird put it in a cage side by side of Bonita so you can see how they react to each other. It would be better when you introduce them together to put her in the new one's cage so she isn't being protective or territorial of her cage.

Customer
Thank you for the advice about my other bird Bonita. Yesterday she was trying to pull her feathers out. Not being herself. Talk alot to her and she enjoys that. Later was doing better. This morning woke up and was chirping away. Still looks around for her friend but not as often. Eating well and doing better. Will highly recommend you to everyone. Thank you for helping me during this difficult time.
I'm glad to hear she's better. Thank you for the happy update.
Customer
My surviving Parakeet every so often lifts her leg up. Then puts it down. Since my other bird died I'm really watching out for this one. Couldn't take loosing another one. Eats, sleeps and loves chirping. What's with the leg��

How old is Bonita?

Customer
Female Parakeet named Bonita is about 13 months old

You can examine the feet and legs to see if you see any thing different between the two. If this is just something she does occasionally it may not be significant. See if you see any redness on the bottom of the foot or any bruising anywhere or any damage to a toenail.

Customer
Legs seems fine. Could her nails be too long �� Sent picture

Yes, nails are too long. See what she does when they get trimmed.

Customer
How do I do this for she is very feisty. Will use a towel and have someone help me. Can I really do this without hurting here

If you've never done it before can you take her somewhere to have them do it and show you how? Yes, you can hurt her if you don't know what you're doing. You wrap her in a towel and cup her in the palm of your hand, don't encircle her chest. Hold one foot and one toe at a time and use human toenail trimmers to trim off the thin, curved overgrown part of the nail. Make sure you have Quick Stop or some other cautery powder open and handy in case you hit the quick.

Customer
Did I do ok. �� Wasn't easy for either one of us ��
looks like you did a good job.
Customer
Thank you. Both the bird and I are relieved. Good Night ��
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jeanne Smith
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jeanne Smith
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.