I HAVE A LOVEBIRD THAT IS ABOUT 10 MONTHS OLD AND HE HAS LOST HIS HAIR UNDER NECK. NOT HIS FEATHERS ITS UNDER NECK I

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: i HAVE A LOVEBIRD THAT IS ABOUT 10 MONTHS OLD AND HE HAS LOST HIS HAIR UNDER HI NECK
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the lovebird was losing his feathers?
Customer: NOT HIS FEATHERS ITS UNDER NECK I GUES ITS ALSO FEATHERS ITS BEEN FOR OVER A MONTH BUT HAS NOT PROGRESSED
JA: Is his skin bumpy or itchy as well?
Customer: NOPE
JA: What's the lovebird's name?
Customer: SONY
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: WELL HE HAS A PARTNER AND THE PARTNER HAS LAID 3 EGGS ITS BEEN OVER A MONTH AND THE EGGS ARE STILL THE SAME SIZE.
Answered by Jeanne Smith in 20 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Jeanne Smith
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Bird Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Avian Medicine, Poultry Veterinary Medicine

Welcome to JA. I'm Dr. Jeanne Smith. I'll do my best to help you with home support care and advice for the best course of action. Do you see him pull his own feathers out or spend excessive time preening the area that is missing feathers?

Customer
hI NO HE DOES NOT TOUCH HIS AREA IN FRONT OF US i JUST NOTICE HIS FEATHERS ARE MISSING UNDER THE NECK
Customer
Rather text

Are the eggs in a nestbox? Does he poke his head in and out of the nestbox a lot, could he be breaking the feathers off on the entrance to the nestbox?

Customer
He goes in and out all day its possible
Customer
i ALSO HAVE A QUESTION MY LADY BIRD HAS HAD HER 3 EGGS THE SAME SIZE IN THE BOX FOR OVER 30 DAYS i HAVE NOT SEEN THEM GROW?
BUT SHE SPENDS ALL DAY IN BOX AND ONLY COMES OUT TO EAT

The most common reason I see lovebirds lose feathers in that area is if they are itchy because of an internal infection with fungus, yeast, bacteria or parasites but those birds act itchy and pull the feathers out themselves. Since you don't see any of that, I think it may be that he's rubbing them off or breaking them off coming and going out of the nestbox. When they're done with the chick rearing you can see if they start to grow back. Meanwhile, keep an eye out for itchy picky behavior.

Eggs are laid full sized. They don't change at all until a chick hatches out.

Customer
I never got my last question answered how long does love birds take when they lay eggs to hatch.Thanks

Sorry, that question never showed up in the thread. The incubation period is 22 days from the time the birds start sitting on them.

Customer
We noticed the eggs on march 14 we did not know how long they are in there do you think there is a problem

If they didn't start incubating them right away (which is common) they may still be hatching soon. It isn't unusual, though, for the first clutch a pair lays to be infertile.

Customer
can you interpret that for me in layman words
Do I need to get rid of the eggs if they do not hatch and how soon do I do this?
Wait until they abandon the nest or toss the eggs out if they don't hatch.
Customer
Do I remove the eggs myself how do I know they are abandoning it.
They'll stop sitting on them. Yes, you remove them at that point.
Customer
THANKS SO MUCH HAVE A BLESSED NITE STAY SAFE
You're welcome. You too.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jeanne Smith
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jeanne Smith
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.