My Budgie is 5 years old. Lately he has been sleeping a lot through the day. The last few days he is too weak to fly up

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My Budgie is 5 years old. Lately he has been sleeping a lot through the day. The last few days he is too weak to fly up to his perch. He climbs a ladder instead using his beak. We put his favourite treat (honey seed stick) in his cage and he's eating this and normal food enthusiastically. Just saw him drinking too for the first time in a while. I haven't heard him chirp, seen him stretch or fly for a couple of weeks. He's spending time on the floor of cage sleeping until he gets the energy to climb up to his perch. He's fallen on his face a few times and has to rest before getting up. He looks normal. No sign of mites or sickness. Not sure what to do.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the budgie's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: Sleeping a lot during the day increasingly over the last month.Not seen flying
JA: How has the budgie's appetite been? Any changes in stool?
Customer: Appetite seems normal to good. If he's not sleeping, he's eating. Most recent stools are kind of green liquid with white part more solid
JA: Could the budgie have eaten something unusual?
Customer: I don't think it's possible. Cage is hanging and he pretty much only gets budgie feed and water. No green stuff or cuttle fish of late.
JA: What's the budgie's name?
Customer: UK - I think because he's a blue and white English variety. My son named him.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I forgot. He has a brownish stain around one nostril spreading up almost into feathers above beak. I thought it was a poo stain from falling over in the bottom of the cage but maybe not. Other than that – Just too weak to fly. Oh maybe breath is a little heavier than usual when he's sleeping - but I could be imagining this.
Answered by Jeanne Smith in 14 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Jeanne Smith
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Bird Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Avian Medicine, Poultry Veterinary Medicine

Hi, this is Dr Jeanne Smith. Are you able to wrap UK in a wash cloth and check a couple things? If so, feel his breast muscling to see if his breast bone is very prominent, with muscle loss on either side. Feel his abdomen between the end of his breastbone and where his droppings come out. See if it's rounded. A normal bird would have a concave, taut abdomen.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jeanne Smith
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jeanne Smith
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.