Is it ok to feed my eclectus parrot 2passionfruit a day and how much other fruit should he have. He has started to get

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Is it ok to feed my eclectus parrot 2passionfruit a day and how much other fruit should he have
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What's the matter with the bird?
Customer: He has started to get some black on his feathers
JA: Where does the bird seem to hurt?
Customer: He is not hurting, is very active and social
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Skully is his name,is a rescued parrot and is about years
JA: How old is Skully?
Customer: About 6years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Skully?
Customer: No we spend a lot of time with him and he seems very happy
Answered by Jeanne Smith in 12 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Jeanne Smith
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Bird Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Avian Medicine, Poultry Veterinary Medicine

Hi, this is Dr Jeanne Smith. Eclectus are primarily fruit in the wild. In captivity I find they do well on 1/2 low fat pellets and 1/2 fresh fruits and vegetables. 2 passion fruits and some pellets on a day is fine. Eclectus tend to like variety in their fruits and vegetables . They'll like something for a few days then start to act like it doesn't fliat their boat anymore.
Black discoloration of feathers is caused by damage to the lught refracting structures in the feathers. It can be caysed by excess fat in the diet or excess wear.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jeanne Smith
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jeanne Smith
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.