Bird Veterinary

Just found your site and my canary has the missing feathers…

Customer Question
Hi —just found your...

Hi —just found your site and my canary has the missing feathers around the neck. Most recently he has stopped singing and now has a “cough”. I am afraid he may have mites.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations your bird can pick up. I'll have you... Read full answer

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations your bird can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your bird?

Yes, he was in another room with our African Grey, 2 parakeets and 2 finches until yesterday. I have moved him to another room and into a smaller cage which has been washed down and disinfected. I have a video if helpful.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
4/11/2019
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please note that experts aren't allowed to prescribe prescription drugs in this venue.

This is the time of year I receive quite a few questions about feather loss in that area. In the great majority of cases, it's due to the prenuptial (spring) molt. Singing usually stops at this time as molting is stressful. It's most important that diet be optimal so the building blocks of feathers are adequately provided. Seeds should comprise less than 20% of his diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard-boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

A cough can, indeed, be related to air sac mites and can be addressed with over the counter Scatt (moxidectin). Confirmation of mites is usually done by transillumination of the trachea (windpipe) and seeing tiny black dots inside it. A bright light is placed on the opposite side of his neck from which you're sitting. We also need to consider respiratory infection (bacterial, viral, fungal) as well as hypovitaminosis A - a lack of vitamin A in his diet and so it would be prudent to have a liquid soluble vitamin such as Oasis Vita-Drops in his water at this time.

I would like to see a video, please. You'll need to upload it to YouTube or a similar app and then give me the link to it. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have a small question regarding the health of my 13 years
Hi there, I have a small question regarding the health of my 13 years old canary. A few month ago I noticed that the feathers near one of his eyes started to fall, later on I noticed that he is breath… read more
Veterinarian,
First issue: My female finch was badly bullied by other
first issue: My female finch was badly bullied by other females in her cage. She has no feathers on the left side of her head. I can see her ear. It's really bad. I got the bird in this condition. She… read more
Dr. Daniel G
Dr. Daniel G
Consulting Veterinarian,
Mite infestation: we've had budgies for years, but the past
Mite infestation: we've had budgies for years, but the past few months one of our birds, who has his own cage, started losing feathers. I mentioned it to someone in a pet store, and he suggested a 50%… read more
Hawkedoc
Hawkedoc
Veterinarian,
Stop searching for answers—
He has lost feather around his neck and head. He does not
He has lost feather around his neck and head. He does not sit around all puffed up, he is eating and drinking well, he is chirping. Before the molt he was singing a lot, He is not singing now. He is a… read more
Veterinarian,
I have a canary that I thought was molting because he was
I have a canary that I thought was molting because he was losing his feathers but its been 2 months and I just notice he4 has a sore in neck area I see him scratch but not sure if its excessive he see… read more
Veterinarian,
Our green Singing Finch has lost the feathers on his head
Our green Singing Finch has lost the feathers on his head (including the little crest) and neck. We treated him for lice, cleaned his cage(which is round) and he still sheds and picks at himself. What… read more
Veterinarian,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
My canary seems totally healthy: he hops around his cage, eats
My canary seems totally healthy: he hops around his cage, eats everything I give him (fresh veggies and fruit and of course, his seeds) but he has stopped singing. He is not molting. He used to sing b… read more
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan
Veterinarian and practice owner,
I just purchased a Congo African Grey. Her cage is a reused
I just purchased a Congo African Grey. Her cage is a reused one that, after scrubbing myself, I took to be specially cleaned and disinfected at a veterinary clinic. While picking up the cage, I also h… read more
Dr. Elaine
Dr. Elaine
Veterinarian,
My canary is sneezing/coughing all the time. He does not have
My canary is sneezing/coughing all the time. He does not have any discharge from any part of his body. He looks healthy and is playing and singing as usual but he has persistent sneezing/coughing bout… read more
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan
Veterinarian and practice owner,
my canary has his lost his feathers just around the head and
my canary has his lost his feathers just around the head and neck area . He is still singing well and eating etc. have you any ideas Joan… read more
Dr_Kitty
Dr_Kitty
Bird Veterinarian,
I just bought a canary and she is 4 months old. I also own
I just bought a canary and she is 4 months old. I also own another male canary that I had for almost a year now. I waited a couple of days before putting them together. I now see that they squak at ea… read more
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Veterinarian,
BA
My canary stopped whistling after a finch died. Why
I had 2 finches and a canary in one cage. The canary whistled beautifully. Three weeks ago the zebra finch died and the canary hasn't whistled since. What can I do to help the canary whistle?… read more
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob
Veterinarian,
Stop searching for answers—
Can an African Grey get scaly face mite from a parakeet My
Can an African Grey get scaly face mite from a parakeet? My parakeet had 2 growths on the the corners of its mouth. It seemed to only grow up word like a funnel, but doesnt seem to have spread. My par… read more
Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat
Bird Veterinarian,
canary: healthy..past week, he has lost dime-sized patches..his wings
I bought a young male canary from a pet store a 2 weeks ago. At that time he had a full set of healthy feathers. In the past week, he has lost dime-sized patches of feathers under his wings, head, nec… read more
Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat
Bird Veterinarian,
Hi! I have an 8 year old female canary. Over the past 2 months
Hi! I have an 8 year old female canary. Over the past 2 months or so she has been excessively losing feathers down her back starting from the top of her back. To the point where I can see her skin in … read more
Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat
Bird Veterinarian,
Ive had a male canary for 1 week. The past 2 days There are
I've had a male canary for 1 week. The past 2 days There are many feathers in the cage. Enough to notice their absence on his body shape. I keep canary food, fresh water, and offer veggies or fruit da… read more
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan
Veterinarian and practice owner,
How can I tell if my African Grey parrot has mites?
How can I tell if my African Grey parrot has mites?I found a bald spot on his neck under his bill. Could he be molting. I find small white and grey feathers on the bottom of his cage. I had another pa… read more
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan
Veterinarian and practice owner,
We have a little canary, Zoe, with respiratory symptoms, wet
We have a little canary, Zoe, with respiratory symptoms, wet sounding cough and sneezing. She is breathing with effort and losing her feathers over her head, back, beneath her wings. This is our secon… read more
Doc Evan
Doc Evan
Professor,
DVM, PhD