Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My bird has Prolapsed Cloaca. My bird has a red lump coming…

Customer Question
My bird has Prolapsed...

My bird has Prolapsed Cloaca

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your bird?

My bird has a red lump coming out of her vent

Veterinarian's Assistant: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is your bird's name and age?

RIO 4 years'

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I can't take her to the vet since there is no vet in my state that treats birds. Please help home remedies is all I can do
5/31/2018
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Leah Hill, Bird Veterinarian replied 24 days ago
Dr. Leah Hill
Dr. Leah Hill, Bird Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr Hill. Any chance you can attach a photo using the paperclip icon? Is she straining? Has she laid any eggs recently?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I'm sorry I can't attach any pictures, no she has not laid any eggs recently.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
can you help me please

Ok, is she straining at all?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
she is
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
What happened

ok until we know what is causing the straining even if we get it back in she may re prolapse. In a female bird being egg bound is high on the list. Sometimes having diarrhea is another possibility. If she is eating and acting ok otherwise we can try a remedy that usually works well. I would use 1 cup of cool water and 2 tablespoons of sugar and mix. Then soak the vent in the solution for about 10 minutes. This usually shrinks the tissue to allow it to go back in. If you have some sterile lubricant or KY jelly you can gently use this to help re invert it in. Again depending on the cause if may re prolapse but its worth a try.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions let me know and I will help you however I can. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is really appreciated as as I strive to give you the best information I can. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You are still able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
what food shall give her and should I separate her from other birds

Yes definitely separate her from the others. what type of bird is she?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
she is a love bird

Is she currently eating? I prefer the pelleted diets like lafebers (80% pellets), and 20% fresh fruits and veggies

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
okay are there any more steps that I need to follow in helping my bird

no that is about the most you can do at home to help. If it doesn't go back in or reoccurs than at that point you would need to take her in. Sometimes we have to place a suture to keep it from re prolapsing

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
The red lump comes out and goes back in
should I separate I'm asking this again because she's been living with 4 other birds, won't she get tensed if I separate her

its hard to see but that sounds like a prolapse what your describing. If you think she will be more stressed being away from them you can keep her in. Sometimes they will try and over groom them but since the prolapse is low down hopefully they won't go that low

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
okay thank you
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I'll update you later

ok sounds good. When you get a chance if you can accept my answer and rate me I would appreciate it. You can still use the same link to contact me and ask follow up questions. Thanks

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
she doesn't want to sit in the sugar solution so I dipped a cotton swab in the solution and placed it on her vent
how many times a day should I do this
Ideally it should work pretty the first time . Maybe soaking some cotton balls and placing them on the vent for 10 min should work. Then follow up work some lube to try and push it back in gently
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I did the cotton swab thing by constantly dipping it in the solution but the part above the vent still looks as if there is a lump from inside
plus I dont have a lubricant
what else can be done?
Are you sure it’s not an egg? That could explain the prolapse. If you Have neosporin you can use that too
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
how should I decide whether its an egg or not?
Plus can I use safromacin?

usually if its an egg you can feel a firm bulge on the outside. I am not familiar with saframycin-we do not have it in the US. In theory it should be ok but I am not 100% sure. I would put a towel over the cage and makes sure its in a warm dark area. If she is egg bound this will help.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
can I give her greens she loves spinach stems and can I add calcium and Muti vitamin syrup to her water?

yes you can. The calcium is good for her too.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
she ate the spinach stem, I have also covered the cage
thought of doing the sugar solution thing in the afternoon as well
and as for the lubricant if you are not 100% sure I don't want to take risk so Can vaseline [petroleum jelly] be used? and where should I apply it?

ok thats good. Yes vaseline is fine. If the prolapse is sticking out you can apply the vaseline on that and gently try and push it back in. If its not sticking out using the vaseline and apply a small amount (tip of finger) inside vent should help. Please accept my answer and rate me-I do not get compensated for helping you without that. thanks in advance