Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My canary as been quieter and is taking many naps during the…

Customer Question
My canary as been...

My canary as been quieter and is taking many naps during the day.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your bird?

My canary use to sign and active foe the last 3 years we had him and recently he is taking more naps during the day lime every 30 minutes or so and not signing for the last month

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your bird seem to hurt?

He does not look just he takes lots of naps

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Napping alot

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is your bird eating normally?

Eats and naps

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is your bird having trouble peeing or pooing?

Looks normal

Veterinarian's Assistant: How is your bird behaving differently?

Naps alot

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name?

Ringo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ringo?

He is sharing a cage with a female canary for last 1 1/2 year

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
5/30/2018
Bird Veterinarian: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 2 months ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping birds. I'm working on some information for you now, and will post it as soon as I have it typed up.

I'm sorry to hear of this problem. Being tired is a general symptom. It doesn't tell us what is wrong, but does tell us something is going on.

Birds tend to hide signs of illness, so by the time symptoms like you're seeing show up, the bird is often quite ill. I recommend that you take your bird to a vet. The antibiotics available in pet stores are old ones, and most bacteria have developed a resistance to them. That makes them ineffective. In addition, treating a bird with antibiotics when it doesn't have a bacterial infection does more harm than good. Infections can also be caused by fungi and viruses. The symptoms you're seeing can indicate anything from a respiratory infection to organ failure to cancer. For all these reasons, it would be good to have your canary examined by a vet. A vet who is experienced with birds would be best. Here is a site that will help you find one near you:

http://www.avianweb.com/recommendedvets.htm

In the meantime, make sure your canary is kept warm. If there's a warmer room in the house where you can move the cage to, that would be a good thing to do. You could also cover three sides and the top of the cage to keep warmth in. Another option is to use a clean sock, and fill it 2/3 with plain, raw white rice. Tie the open end and microwave it for about 1 1/2 minutes. Then shake to distribute the heat. Make sure it's not so hot that it could burn your bird. Put it in the cage for added warmth. You can re-warm it when it gets cool. He can stay near it if he's a bit chilly, and move away if he gets too warm. A heating pad set on low and placed over half of the top of the cage also works. Just be sure all wires are out of reach of the canaries.

If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope this will turn out to be something minor and easily treated.

Anna