Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a eclectus parrot.. he fell from his perch in the…

Customer Question
Hello, i have a eclectus...
Hello, i have a eclectus parrot.. he fell from his perch in the bathroom about 6ft hight onto hard floor.. 2 days later i took him to the vet.. she said she sees nothing wrong.. but its been 5 days since the incident and now hes laying on my cest flat trying to sleep under my blanket
Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
5/29/2018
Bird Veterinarian: August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist replied 24 days ago
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist

I'm August Abbott Cert.Avian Specialist; ownr N.CA Parrot Rescue. Allow a few minutes to review & respond (please ignore site offers for phone svc)

What did the vet do upon examination? Were Xrays done? Is your bird eating normally? How do the droppings look?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
She did a visual exam and felt his legs amd chest area.. no xrays done.. hes been eating normally and his droppings are seems to me more at once then usual as to color its white and green
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Hes not very vocal as much as he use to be.. seems to be more quiet he doesnt seem to limp anymore but sometimes hes cautious to step on the right foot.. when hes trying to sleep, he stans still and slowly starts leaning forward and then fix him self up again and repeats.. the vet said there isnt any major damage and she offered me pain med if i wanted and told me it could take couple of days for him to get back to himself
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
He perches just fine through out the day.. i also notice he tries to rest more often.. idk if i should get back with the vet or just wait it out

Of all animals on earth, birds are the least likely to do well with a 'wait and watch' protocol. I'll explain more later in this response

------------

When there is an urgent care situation with a bird, most cases will require additional heat as stress can create a body temperature loss that can be quite dangerous.
---
First things first: Get the bird in a safe, enclosed, secure environment where movement is limited for their own safety and comfort. You'll want a brooder box. This is a sort of ‘intensive care unit' at home.
---
For a makeshift brooder, use a small box lined with soft clothes like tee shirts.
---
Use a thick, clean sock and fill it ¾ with plain, raw white rice. Knot the end and microwave it for about 1 ½ minutes. Shake it afterwards to distribute the heat and be sure it's not too hot. Tuck this in just under the cloths.
---
A heating pad under one half of the box is also helpful, set on low. This is one of the few times I’d ever use both heat sources if necessary to maintain incubation temp (90-105 degrees).
---
If ever using an electric source for heating anything in anyway, please be vigilant and constantly double checking carefully.
---
Gently drape a light cover over this box to further help hold heat in and keep light low.
---
You may offer a few drops of sugar water to the side of their beak with your finger or by eye dropper; or a dab of corn syrup, maple syrup or bit of natural jam/jelly to help with blood sugar levels.
---
I wouldn’t force fluids or food though until a professional has agreed it’s required and shown you how. The last thing we need is aspiration pneumonia.
---
Here's the facts: A bird may show their weakness, illness and lack of energy one moment, even for a few hours or days - and then “suddenly” seem to be fine. This is their getting a second wind. Finding the strength to ‘mask’ the illness or problem. And since this masking can continue for a while, the underlying issue is only getting worse. The next time you see the bird acting ‘off’, it might be really, really bad.
---
If your bird is acting ‘off’, no matter what – no matter when, they need to be seen by their vet. Infections and disease are far more successfully and inexpensively treated when tackled early. Unlike mammals, avians don’t fare well with a “watch and wait” protocol.
---
Though specialized avian vets are ideal, any vet who sees a majority of birds or at least 1/3 of their practice consisting of birds is a good choice. If you truly trust the vet you already saw, follow up first thing tomorrow and let them know symptoms are worse, not better. Even without a keel bone fracture, a lesion could have occurred and in either case it's important to know.
---
Just in case you want a different veterinary option: If you have a Pet Smart, you have Banfield Clinic inside, open 7 days a week and they see birds.
---
If you have a Pet Co, they have a list of vet names that they use for themselves and are happy to give you, ask for 'bird vets'.
---
Ask any vet in town who they'd recommend for bird care. Ask any good breeder in town who they use (if they don't use anyone, they are not a good breeder, stay away from them).
---
Find an avian vet near you
--- http://aav.org/search

Please come back and let me know how this goes, ok?