Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My cheeked connor is not drinking water and has a hole in…

Customer Question
My green cheeked connor is...
My green cheeked connor is not drinking water and has a hole in his skin on his back and lost weight in the past couple weeks.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
He is eating but is very lethargic. He was very healthy when I left him in the care of my husband. I told him to wash out his water bowl with soap and hot water every day because of the film you can get if you don't that causes bacteria. He said he did but his bowl was lined with film my other Bird was the same issue, but the other Bird is healthy. My sick birds breastbone is sticking out because of his weight loss he is only 1 year old please help. I called my vet and he told me not to take him from home for sake of stressing him further. He is suffering help. ��
I am putting antibacterial ointment on his back by request of my vet. Is he slipping away slowly, is that why he won't take water. He is eating seeds and Apple slices but is very dehydrated.
Answered in 1 day by:
5/29/2018
Bird Veterinarian: August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist replied 2 months ago
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist

I'm August Abbott, owner of an animal rescue org.& state preserve wrkr. I cannot provide phone svc, but will compose a comprehensive reply for you

Before I continue - you need to contact another vet. one who actually knows birds. There is no avian knowledgeable vet who would ever, ever suggest leaving a bird home because transport to medical care would be stressful. I'm ashamed of whoever told you that.

you can forgive your husband. A few days of exposure to possible bacteria won't cause noticeable weight loss in a bird. In order to see weight loss a bird has to loose more than 10% of their overall body mass and this takes quite some time. What this means is that something else is going on with this bird, very likely a disease and the absolutely only way to know what it is is to see an avian knowledgeable vet . Many bird vets make housecalls these days so it's worth calling around for one.

The most significant concern right now - besides saving this bird's life - is insuring that your other bird doesn't follow him.

Remember, this sick bird has been suffering for at least several weeks, most likely months or even longer. Birds are one of only two families of animals that survived the great, major extinction just over 65 million years ago (crocodilians are the others) - and part of their evolution has gifted them with incredible 'masking' abilities. They hide weakness, illness and injury better than most any other animals known to earth. Even when they are so weak they can't hide the symptoms and they show illness (like your other one did) - they usually manage to muster the strength to hide it again... right up until it's nearly too late (like with the one you're writing about).

The bot***** *****ne is that BOTH birds need to be seen by a vet who actually knows what they're doing with birds.

------------

When there is an urgent care situation with a bird, most cases will require additional heat as stress can create a body temperature loss that can be quite dangerous.
---
First things first: Get the bird in a safe, enclosed, secure environment where movement is limited for their own safety and comfort. You'll want a brooder box. This is a sort of ‘intensive care unit' at home.
---
For a makeshift brooder, use a small box lined with soft clothes like tee shirts.
---
Use a thick, clean sock and fill it ¾ with plain, raw white rice. Knot the end and microwave it for about 1 ½ minutes. Shake it afterwards to distribute the heat and be sure it's not too hot. Tuck this in just under the cloths.
---
A heating pad under one half of the box is also helpful, set on low. This is one of the few times I’d ever use both heat sources if necessary to maintain incubation temp (90-105 degrees).
---
If ever using an electric source for heating anything in anyway, please be vigilant and constantly double checking carefully.
---
Gently drape a light cover over this box to further help hold heat in and keep light low.
---
You must be on your way to professional care. Not even I have a lab at home complete with X-ray machine, CT Scanner or MRI and it won’t be doing justice to your companion to try to fix this yourself. The best you can do is help maintain them until the hands on exam.
---
You may offer a few drops of sugar water to the side of their beak with your finger or by eye dropper; or a dab of corn syrup, maple syrup or bit of natural jam/jelly to help with blood sugar levels.
---
I wouldn’t force fluids or food though until a professional has agreed it’s required and shown you how. The last thing we need is aspiration pneumonia.
---
Remember: A bird may show their weakness, illness and lack of energy one moment, even for a few hours or days - and then “suddenly” seem to be fine. This is their getting a second wind. Finding the strength to ‘mask’ the illness or problem. And since this masking can continue for a while, the underlying issue is only getting worse. The next time you see the bird acting ‘off’, it might be really, really bad.
---
If your bird is acting ‘off’, no matter what – no matter when, they need to be seen by their vet. Infections and disease are far more successfully and inexpensively treated when tackled early. Unlike mammals, avians don’t fare well with a “watch and wait” protocol.
---
Though specialized avian vets are ideal, any vet who sees a majority of birds or at least 1/3 of their practice consisting of birds is a good choice.
---
If you have a Pet Smart, you have Banfield Clinic inside, open 7 days a week and they see birds.
---
If you have a Pet Co, they have a list of vet names that they use for themselves and are happy to give you, ask for 'bird vets'.
---
Ask any vet in town who they'd recommend for bird care. Ask any good breeder in town who they use (if they don't use anyone, they are not a good breeder, stay away from them).
---
Find an avian vet near you
--- http://aav.org/search