Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a pullet about 10 months old, and she stands with her…

Customer Question
I have a pullet...

I have a pullet about 10 months old, and she stands with her neck/head hanging down. She is living in a dog kennel with another pullet and a cockerel the same age, looks healthy weightwise, and has clear eyes and nostril. I see no evidence of diarrhea. Is there a disease that could cause this, or would it likely be an injury?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the bird?

She is not lifting her head up and was sitting in the corner of the kennel.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the bird seem to hurt?

Her neck

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

I don't see any obvious signs of disease or injury, just her head hanging down like she cannot hold it up. Like I said, clear eyes, no nasal discharge, good feathering, cannot see any weight loss.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name?

She doesn't have one, just a pullet

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?

Not really - seemed healthy. Just noticed today that she was crouched in the corner and when I went to pick her up I noticed the hanging head. Still a good weight. I am thinking she may have injured her neck stretching it through the dog paneling, but wanted to make sure if there was a disease that would explain the symptoms. first.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
5/27/2018
Bird Veterinarian: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 2 months ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping poultry. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. Do you still need help? If so, let me know how the pullet is doing now. Thank you.
She is doing better - we have determined that is was an injury. After isolating her from her penmates, she has since been lifting her head and is still eating well. We are keeping her in isolation for a short time longer, but don't believe there is any disease.
I’m glad to hear she is doing better. Often, with injuries, time and rest solves the problem. I hope she’ll continue to improve.