Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a 21 year old cockatiel who is falling a lot in his…

Customer Question
I have a 21...

I have a 21 year old cockatiel who is falling a lot in his cage. Several times a day. As a result, he is pulling his tail feathers, and there's quite a bit of blood and scabbing. He's been traumatized (I inherited him) and he can't be touched, and he doesn't tolerate anything new in his cage: food, toys, perches, etc. I'm trying to understand how I can help him without traumatizing him, and wondering if I should be giving him antibiotics or other supplements I might put in his water?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the bird's name?

Dorian.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dorian?

As I said, he's extremely fearful of hands, fingers, anything new. Won't eat anything but commercial food (no treats, millet, fruit, etc.) So I think taking him to the vet would be more damaging to his health than no interference at all. He's been pretty sturdy and cheerful up until the last six months or so. And he rarely chirps anymore. I just want to know how to make him comfortable at the end of his life (which I assume this is)

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
5/27/2018
Bird Veterinarian: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 2 months ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged in and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping birds. Unfortunately, if you can't handle Dorian, there isn't going to be much you can do. You can keep him warm and clean. Make sure he can reach food and water. I do recommend finding a way for him to see a vet.
Thank you. Yeah, I keep him warm with food and water close by. I spray his underside with warm water occasionally to help keep him clean (he seems to like it.) I sing to him, play him soft music on the radio, roll his cage into the sunlight in the morning for some light therapy, put a colorful cloth over his cage for color therapy (I know it sounds silly, I'm just trying to do anything but touch him.) I've had him for over ten years, and he's never been sick. I'd just like him to be comfortable, or at least not in pain. I'll check with an avian vet, see if anyone makes house calls.
You're welcome. It sounds like you are going to great lengths to keep him comfortable. You don't sound silly at all.