Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My hen is 20 weeks. She started laying eggs 3 weeks ago. She…

Customer Question
My hen is 20...

My hen is 20 weeks. She started laying eggs 3 weeks ago. She hasn’t laid one today(this past week she’s been laying after they go into their coop). Tonight she is just standing stil at times closing her eyes like she wants to sleep. She is panting which she does just prior to laying egg.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your bird. What is the bird's name?

Lucy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucy?

We did move her nesting box last week. The first few eggs she laid while on the roost in the run. So we put her nesting box (milk crate) where she’d laid eggs. Then last week we moved it inside the coop. She has not laid any eggs in the crate since I moved it. She lays them beside the crate!

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
Answered in 1 day by:
5/27/2018
Bird Veterinarian: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 2 months ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist

Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged in and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping poultry. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. Do you still need help? If so, please let me know if the situation has changed. Thank you.

No but Thank you. We read up different sites-and decided to put her a crate away from the others for the night. We did give her a third of an Aspirin. She than got diarrhea. We let her out in the yard with the others yesterday evening when again we noticed she stood still just prior to laying an egg under my car! Her eggs the last week have not been hard shelled. I assume from stress? Of our moving her crate? She is acting fine today.
Ok. I suspect she was egg bound. That can cause the symptoms you were seeing. Those soft-shelled eggs are a problem all on their own. But thank you for letting me know you no longer need help.