Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Pigeon keeps falling onto it's back, flaps to get up right,

Customer Question
Pigeon keeps falling onto...

Pigeon keeps falling onto it's back, flaps to get up right, takes a bit, when it does it's seemingly ok again. it is a rescue bird, previously was attacked by a bird as a youngster, so has a damaged wing, but that has been two years now, so that doesn't seem to be the issue. Unaware of any other trama to it, although suspect it may have been pecked at by another bird about 5 days ago, they have been separated since.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name?

Sir Walter, although found out later it's a female lol

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sir?

It's only 2 years and a couple months old. stays in a coup majority of the time, only goes outside 1-2 a month.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
Answered in 2 days by:
5/27/2018
Bird Veterinarian: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 2 months ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged in and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping birds. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. Do you still need help? If so, have there been any changes in the pigeon? Thank you.
Not much change, she seemingly is good but still goes on her back, she doesn't fly well, and last night I held her, she attempted to fly dropped to her back

Thank you for getting back to me. I'm working on some information for you now, and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience.

B all 3

Thank you for waiting. Unfortunately, there are a number of conditions that can cause this symptom. I'll explain for you, but you will need to see a vet to cure the problem.

In a younger bird, infection that affects the balance center is a likely cause. Ear infections and the Paramyxo virus can do this. A vet usually prescribes Trilby for either of these. less common causes include injury to the brain or spine, epilepsy, nutrient imbalances, and brain tumors. There are no home treatments for any of these.

This site has a directory of avian vets:

http://www.avianweb.com/recommendedvets.htm

If a vet isn't an option, all you can do is provide the best care you can and see how the condition progresses. However, if it is a simple ear infection, your vet can easily clear it up. If you have more concerns, just let me know. I'm glad to help. I hope that whatever you decide to do, it will work out well.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you

Ju j..........