Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have an 18 yesr old military macaw. Got him at 4 mos old.

Customer Question
I have an 18...

I have an 18 yesr old military macaw. Got him at 4 mos old. He was an abused bird. Didnt need him hit couldnt turn my back in him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the bird?

When i tried to trim his toes and clip is flight frathers he would fo blistic. I took him to the bet once to have him done but they made his toes bleed and cut ALL of his wing feathers like a chicken. It traumatized him beyond belief. He needs it bad but there is no way for me to do it and there is no way to transport him. He freaks out.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the bird seem to hurt?

So my question is, is there anything to give a bird to calm them down enough to do it?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No. He doesnt hurt anywhere that I can tell. He will come to me and is very loving talks and gives kisses and hugs and is SO sweet. But if he even thinks im going to touch to trim something. He screams and bites. I can rub his wings in a petting way. Rub under them and all bit as soon as he sees something in my hand, its all over

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Nothing visually obvious. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the bird's name and age?

Monkey 18

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name?

Monkey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Monkey?

He is mean to everyone but me.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
Answered in 1 day by:
4/2/2018
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Jaime, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Jaime
Dr. Jaime, Veterinarian

I see that your question for calming down Monkey has not yet been answered. I would strongly recommend that you work on getting him used to handling and work on some desensitization and counter conditioning techniques. There is a very good video online that can help you with this. See https://vimeo.com/ondemand/parrotvetcare and with time using these techniques this can help you get Monkey used to the nail clippers again and you can certainly trim his nails at home. You can also look for avian housecall vets in your area at aav.org. I hope this helps you and Monkey!

Do you have any further questions? If so, please let me know. If not, please issue a rating. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

Hello, just checking in to see if you have been able to see my response and if you have any further questions?