Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Are instant grits healthy for a cockatiel? It is not her…

Customer Question
Are instant grits healthy for...
Are instant grits healthy for a cockatiel? It is not her main diet. She gets seed. pellets and veggies. When I have grits she likes a taste
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
4/1/2018
Bird Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 3 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Grits are fine for a cockatiel so long as they have nothing else added like brown sugar, milk, etc. If she likes them, you can always make a small portion just for her that contains nothing else so that she can also enjoy them while you're having a portion.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

what about cherrios or cornflakes as a treat? I know cereals have some sodium in it but she is just receiving a small treat. Is that ok?

1-2 cherrios or unsweetened cornflakes will also be fine. Be cautious about giving too many, however, as many breakfast cereals are fortified and giving too much can cause toxic effects with birds. 1-2 in a day should be safe.

are the grits fortified?

Not with vitamins or minerals which may be toxic. The biggest concern with breakfast cereals are added zinc, vitamin D, etc.

Checking in. Are there any additional questions I can answer for you today regarding foods for your cockatiel? Please be sure to rate today before signing off so that I am compensated for helping you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy