Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have several hens that have gone through the winter with a…

Customer Question
I have several hens...

I have several hens that have gone through the winter with a bare butt, very red and now their necks are featherless as well. I treated with diatonaceous earth and because we are in cold PA have not treated with any liquid sprays. What is going on?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the bird's name and age?

I have several in a flock of 15 that are like this.. prob 6 birds and they are no older than 4 yr

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name?

No names

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
hello?
4/1/2018
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Any signs of mites/lice?

Any wounds or damage to the exposed skin?

Are you seeing the lost feathers in your yard?

hat are they fed?

Can you take a photo of this for me to assess? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

am having trouble sending pictures. is there another way?

Good morning,

I am afraid the only other option would be via customer service but that can take a few days (and during the week I am in my own clinic and not as readily available here). So, if possible post it on any site you have access to and then paste the link here for me.

Dr. B.