Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My African grey is having poop that looks like pistachio…

Customer Question
My African grey is...

My African grey is having poop that looks like pistachio pudding. She's about 40 yrs old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bird's name?

My African grey is

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your bird?

She eats good and seems in good spirits.

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Birds name is micky.
3/30/2018
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 24 days ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. "Pistachio pudding" can describe both diarrhea and polyuria (increased volume of urine) and the cause of each can be quite different. There are quite a few differentials for diarrhea. They include...

enteritis (intestinal inflammation) due to bacterial, fungal, viral infections; toxins

intestinal parasites (helminths/flukes, worms; protozoa)

proventricular dilatation disease (PDD)

avian bornavirus (which can become PDD)

chlamydiosis

Macrorhabdus (previously known as megabacteria or avian gastric yeast) - most commonly recognized in parakeets but diagnosed in most species

liver disease

zinc and lead poisoning

intestinal foreign body

change in diet

The differential list for polyuria includes...

renal disease

diabetes mellitus and insipidus

liver and pancreatic disease

hyperadrenocorticism (rare)

heavy metal toxicosis

"phosphate flush" due to an all seed diet

pituitary adenoma in parakeets

hens during broody behavior

It's important to note that once an AG acts ill it's already quite ill and in need of the attention of an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org). This is a protective mechanism because sick birds are attacked by other birds in the wild. An avian-oriented vet might first treat symptomatically and supportively by providing supplemental fluids and electrolytes by needle and tube feeding a "recovery" food if need be. Blood tests and cultures of Micky's choana - the slit between her oral cavity and nose - and cloaca (vent) may be taken. Whole body X-rays can be helpful as well. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
She seems to have this during night time. During the day it looks more regular

The best scenario in that case is that she'd been ingesting food with a very high water content during the day. What have you noticed with her water intake, please?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
She drinks often during day

Thank you. Polydipsia (increased thirst) and polyuria (increased volume of urine), then, are the most important considerations and these signs most often arise due to kidney insufficiency, diabetes mellitus, and some liver disorders. It's important that an avian vet perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests on Micky. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian