Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Watery stool for the last 5 days have tried various food…

Customer Question
Watery stool for the...

Watery stool for the last 5 days have tried various food combinations bird is not under a lot of stress it is a female in a cage with a male there's no nesting habitat going on

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bird's name?

Rafiki

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rafiki?

Your diet consists of Nutri berries and bits of fruits and greens she is eating the reason I came here is cuz I was looking for honest and plus I'm just found I guess through this website that it's been discontinued I have some but it's old

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
3/28/2018
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Rafiki. Which type of bird is she, please? It's important to clarify if her droppings are diarrheic (unformed fecal portion of the droppings) or, instead, you're seeing polyuria (increased volume of urine). Can you remove the paper in the cage and then take a photo of it which you can then upload to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

There are quite a few differentials for diarrhea. They include...

enteritis (intestinal inflammation) due to bacterial, fungal, viral infections; toxins

intestinal parasites (helminths/flukes, worms; protozoa)

proventricular dilatation disease (PDD)

avian bornavirus (which can become PDD)

chlamydiosis

Macrorhabdus (previously known as megabacteria or avian gastric yeast) - most commonly recognized in parakeets but diagnosed in most species

liver disease

zinc and lead poisoning

intestinal foreign body

change in diet

The differential list for polyuria is quite different. It includes...

renal disease

diabetes mellitus and insipidus

liver and pancreatic disease

hyperadrenocorticism (rare)

heavy metal toxicosis

"phosphate flush" due to an all seed diet (not the case here)

pituitary adenoma in parakeets

psychogenic polydipsia in juvenile birds

hens during broody behavior (not the case here)

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.