Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My rooster has one bloodshot eye and is acting lethargic,

any ideas?...
My rooster has one bloodshot eye and is acting lethargic, any ideas?
3/28/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Thankfully, chickens rarely suffer eye disorders any more involved than simple trauma to the eye or infectious conjunctivitis with or without evidence of other respiratory infectious signs - sneezing, nasal discharge, coughing, facial swelling, and/or increased respiratory rate. We try to avoid secondary infection in a traumatized eye and treat a bacterial conjunctivitis with an over the counter (except in California) product such as Terramycin ophthlmic ointment which you can find in some feed stores and online such as here: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/pfizer-terramycin-opthalmic-ointment-1-8-oz

Dosing is a dab of ointment thrice daily into the affected eye(s) for a minimum of 10 consecutive days. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

His eye is really red ... rather scary

Regretfully, these eyes need to be examined hands-on for the most accurate diagnosis. Can you upload a photo(s) of the eye to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Sorry, my daughter’s chicken; she is a vet tech still learning about chickens...thought we would ask someone with experience��

I understand. An avian vet can be found here: www.aav.org. For now it would be prudent to begin treating with the ointment I posted above. There's little else we do for chicken eyes. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I tried that link, but it wouldn’t go through...
My daughter had already applied ointment. We will try using it and see what happens—thanks...could you repost the link?
Thank you

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Addison. How is everything going?