Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

One of my parakeets has diariah. They fly free in the aviary…

Customer Question
One of my parakeets...

One of my parakeets has diariah . They fly free in the aviary room and I've been unable to discover which one of my birds it is. What do you suggest?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your bird?

One of my parakeets has diarhia, but I don't know which one

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name?

Sorry, it's one of the parakeets in my aviary. I don't know which one

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your bird?

Well, all the other poops in the aviary are quite normal, except for two parakeets

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
I treated the aviary water with a gentle dose of KD Water Cleanser last week, but still have two with diariah. One of the loose stool birds is in a cage with two other birds, the other is one of the free flying parakeets. My parakeets share the aviary with society and zebra finches
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/27/2018
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Because you're not sure who's responsible for the diarrhea and, in fact, more than one bird has been incriminated, I would monitor the cage of the three birds and see if you could spot the culprit and bring it to an avian vet (www.aav.org) to have its cloaca (vent) cultured for bacterial pathogens and droppings examined for ova and parasites. In that manner, you can find out which antibiotic would be appropriate with which to treat your entire flock. I don't advocate presumptively treating an entire flock with an antibiotic if a pathogen can't be identified. Presumptive worming at this time is reasonable, however, with a product that address both nematodes (roundworms) and cestodes (tapeworms) such as over the counter Worm Away which contains both oxfenazole and praziquantel. Please see here: http://www.morningbirdproducts.com/product_wormaway.html

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.