Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I just find out that my parakeet it has her back part

Customer Question
Hello I just find...

Hello I just find out that my parakeet it has her back part outside what can I do. The veterinarian office are close at this time?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your parakeet's name and age?

Dana she is about 3 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Dana?

3 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dana?

She is ruffled

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
3/27/2018
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan. Currently, I'm reviewing your question and will be back to you in a few minutes.

I'm fairly certain what you are describing is a prolapse of the rear end tissue (cloaca). This can be due to excessive sexual activity, problems laying an egg, parasites, tumors, and many other problems. It is important to get that "put back in" as soon as possible. If the red tissue stays exposed too long then it can swell which makes it very tough to replace and it can get infected. A veterinarian needs to help you replace that tissue as soon as possible. Just to prepare you sometimes (but not always) this requires surgery. If you can't get to a vet immediately (remember veterinarians are required to provide for emergencies so try calling your regular vet office) then pour heavily sugared water over the tissue sometimes makes it go back in the body. However it is risky because sugar can "feed" infections and make them worse. If it doesn't "go back in" then you need to clean the tissue with dilute soap and water and clean it each time the tissue gets dirty until you are able to see a vet. I hope this helps if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating.

Dr Dan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Dan