Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

His knee seems to be swollen and he kinda flops and tries to…

His knee seems to...

His knee seems to be swollen and he kinda flops and tries to walk but uses his wings to get around

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bird's name and age?

Approximately 1 yr. and is a Peking crested, name is Donald

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/26/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Donald. You appear to be describing an infectious synovitis (bacterial joint infection) common in ducks most often due to a pododermatitis (bumble foot) lesion in which the infection in the foot has traveled up into the "knee" joint. This is best addressed by culturing joint fluid to speciate the bacteria and determine the very best antibiotic to prescribe as it usually needs to be administered for a minimum of a month. Regretfully, the FDA has removed all antibiotics designed for poultry to be used by caretakers from the over the counter shelves save tylosin in the form of Tylan-50. This antibiotic is designed to be given by injection daily which wouldn't be appropriate as it would damage the breast muscle given for a month. You can, however, give it orally at a dose of 5- 15 mg/lb of body weight daily. It's quite distasteful, however, and so dosing may be problematic. If possible, an avian vet (www.aav.ocrg) should be involved in Donald's care. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

www.aav.org, not www.aav.ocrg

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you

You're quite welcome.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian