Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

She threw up on my twice when I let her out her cage. she…

Hello She threw up...

Hello She threw up on my twice when I let her out her cage. she spends her time mostly on my shoulder. She was 'preening' my hair so i think she might have ate some of it she hasn't been ill in her cage, and she's eating and drinking fine

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the bird will be able to digest that. What is the bird's name and age?

I call her Buggerlugs, her previous owner called her Skippy. She's a 9 year old yellow crested cockatoo

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Buggerlugs?

9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buggerlugs?

She ended up being neglected before I got her, and she was caught by one of the previous owners dogs (red setter)

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/26/2018
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist

I'm August Abbott, owner of an animal rescue org.& state preserve wrkr. I cannot provide phone svc, but will compose a comprehensive reply for you

First, help me understand a little more about what's happening. When you say she 'threw up' was this a head bobbing and then delivery of a bit of partially digested food right in front of her or onto an object or your shoulder -- or -- was it a head shaking with a spewing of a clear or cloudy, VERY sticky substance that flew everywhere?

How long have you had her? When did the dog incident happen?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
It was a little head bobbing then she delivered a little partially digested food in front of her onto me then she snuggled into my neck.
I have had her 6 months.
Dog incident happened 8 or 9 months ago, no more than 12.
I fostered her for a friends friend, had her a month and they said they didn't want her back.She isn't being ill in her cage, and that Saturday was the first time she did it, then she did it again later on when I let her out the cage again (I need to be careful as I have a cat). I was wondering if she had for lack of a better description 'adopted me and was trying to feed me'. Don't know if birds do that type of thing

Here's some GOOD news: She isn't vomiting, she's regurgitating. Vomiting is the head shaking and spewing of an awful, sticky mess that ends up everywhere.

You're right about her trying to feed you - and this is a very loving thing for a bird to do, although they may also do it if they feel threatened. It's their way of trying to earn a place in your flock.

It sounds like this poor bird has bonded to you and wants nothing more than a loving, stable, forever home. I'll be more than happy to work with you all the way as this happens

Cockatoos are especially needy of physical contact in order to be healthy and happy. They LOVE love.

Do you need advice for feeding, caging, night/day regulation, anything in particular?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I was worried about her as wasn't sure if she was regurgitating (I couldn't remember the word).
She seems happy enough and her and the cat have stare offs, but don't tend to bother with each other much - I pet the cat at my feet with one hand and the bird on my shoulder with the other, keeps them both happy.She is good at night - lights go out and I go upstairs she settles down for the night.
She does love being allowed out of her cage - her wee face seems to light up and tends to stay on my shoulder.I have two cages for her, a big wide one and a smaller one where she can flap her wings in
The smaller one allows me to move her into the sunroom when the weather is nice, and we can get some fresh air.I think I have her feeding sorted out now. Learned a few more things about it today - just need to give her more vegetation.
Thank you much
I'll be in touch if anything else comes up with her.

You're making excellent choices thus far - including moving her about and allowing her to get some natural sunlight (very important!)

Sounds like you have very good instincts. I'm here for you though, just in case you want clarification or have questions about little things

Please don't forget to rate (5 stars would be nice) so we can close the question and keep in mind that 100% of my income from this site funds the sanctuary for broken birds. See us here:

www.facebook.com/parrotrescuecalifornia and our videos here Click

August Abbott, CAS

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS