Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My african grey has cat fleas, what can I give her to get…

Customer Question
My african grey has...

My african grey has cat fleas, what can I give her to get rid of those?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is your bird's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 10 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Sammy?

10

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sammy?

That's all

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
3/26/2018
Bird Veterinarian: Dr G, Bird Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr G
Dr G, Bird Veterinarian
Hi I’m Dr G and I can help you with Sammy.
Birds don’t actually get fleas. Are you sure it is fleas? Do your other pets have them?
Fleas won’t live on birds. If there are any that have gotten on the bird, they will not stay there.
Clean the cage really well. Make sure you are not using any sort of wood shaving or bedding as that will hold fleas.
Do you have other pets? What are you treating them with?
There is absolutely nothing that is safe to put on a bird that is a flea med! You can bathe the bird (is he used to this....going in the shower, sink etc to get wet) and hand remove any fleas that you see, but in 18 years I have never seen a bird with fleas.