Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

We have ducklings that are about 1 week old. One of them has…

Hi, we have ducklings...

Hi, we have ducklings that are about 1 week old. One of them has what looks like an eye infection. She tends to keep the eye closed most of the time but she's otherwise healthy and mobile. We swabbed gently around the eye with a qtip to clean the area and some down came off very easily. anyway, I am looking for any clues or advice on what to do to improve the condition of the eye

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the bird can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the bird's name?

Lola

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lola?

No that's probably all i can offer right now

3/26/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Both trauma and infection are considered in these ducklings and both can be addressed with the over the counter (except in California) broad spectrum antibiotic ointment Terramycin ophthalmic ointment instilled as a dab thrice daily for a minimum of 10 days. Please see here: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/pfizer-terramycin-opthalmic-ointment-1-8-oz

This ointment is particularly valuable because the oxytetracycline it contains is effective against both Chlamydia and Mycoplasma - infectious agents seen in ducks. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you very much for the response. We've applied some of the Terramycin to the eye, and it seems to be helping already. How many days should we apply the ointment? Thanks.

You're quite welcome. As posted above: "...instilled as a dab thrice daily for a minimum of 10 days". Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Alright. Thanks a lot. It was very helpful.

I appreciate it.