Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

She went to vet yesterday and had blood test and vitamin A…

Customer Question
She went to vet...

She went to vet yesterday and had blood test and vitamin A and D shot seemed ok last night about 4 AM dog woke us up uncovers bird A yellow nape and she was treating with difficulty and fell off her perch put her on the couch in a blanket now she sleeps for a half hour the starts treating hard with a little cough like sound after I pet her head she calms and goes back to sleep

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name and age?

Ellie 39

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ellie?

She can't stand at all now and she was fine before we went to the vet yesterday we went because her foot was hurt I was thing maybe she had a reaction to the vitamin shot

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
3/26/2018
Bird Veterinarian: August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist replied 29 days ago
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist

I'm August Abbott, owner of an animal rescue org.& state preserve wrkr. I cannot provide phone svc, but will compose a comprehensive reply for you

Help me understand a little more about what's going on. I believe you first observed her breathing hard with a 'cough' and loss of balance right? Is this what prompted you to take her to the vet?

Then the vet gave her an injection of some sort of vitamin? Do you know what and did the vet say why?

What tests were done at this vet? What were the results?

Importantly, is this vet a specifically avian vet or do they see mostly dogs, cats and other mammals?

How is Ellie doing now? What is her typical food in a day? A seed blend or pellets? Any fresh foods and if so, describe.

I know these are a lot of questions, but I need to have a full and clear picture of what's going on, what's already been done and details to better help you and Ellie

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
My bird died on the way to the vet 9 hours ago

I am so very sorry for your loss. I've been where you are and I know the pain you're feeling right now. I also know that it does get better every day that goes by. It won't be long before you only have happy memories of your companion. In fact, it was the loss of a little cockatiel quite some time ago that felt like my heart got sucked out of me - and I decided that rather than mourn his loss, I'd honor his life and what he brought to mine. That's when I established N.CA Parrot Rescue (facebook.com/parrotrescuecalifornia) and have become the last stop for birds that have been abused, abandoned, neglected and broken through no fault of their own

When the time comes, consider adopting a needy bird. Not to replace your companion, but to honor her.

If you need to talk - I'm here for you

August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS