Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a 4 year old female budgie and she seems seriously…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a 4 year old female budgie and she seems seriously ill

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the bird?

For the past week or two I thought she was pregant because she gained weight and her feather at the bottom end were plucked of, I inspected her today and it seems to be that her stomach area is swollen or very large, she might be egg bound but I'm not so sure anymore

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name and age?

Her nam is angel ūüėá we have had her for about 3 and a half years and she was about 3 months old when we adopted her. She has always been a happy and active bird and lives wilth her younger brother, she still eats but she hasn't been moving around much lately

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name?

Angel

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Angel?

She has always been known to bully her brother but now she just sits quietly on her perch and does basically nothing all day

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
She is a beloved member of my family. Her cage is about 40cm wide and 60cm long and maybe 1 metre high. She gets vitamin supplements in here water and has many calcium sticks and Cuttle bone put in her cage that is transitioned from time to time. I can tell it is a physical sickness and not a mental issue. Her droppings are also stuck to her behind. She breaths heavy. I'm very worried and heartbroken to see her like this. Please contact me as soon and possible.
3/25/2018
Bird Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 26 days ago
Heath Wilkerson

Hi. Dr. W here I'm sorry to hear this about Angel :(

I am also concerned that she could be egg-bound. An x-ray is the best way to confirm this. A screening x-ray will help ascertain if there is an egg or a mass (for instance a mass from the kidneys or ovaries).

In the meantime you can help her by providing warmth and fluids and a high energy food, and after you visit her vet you can help her with analgesia/pain control (with an Rx for Tramadol for example).

Bird Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 26 days ago

It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “accept” my answer, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. Thanks and have a great night!

Bird Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 25 days ago

Hi, just checking back to see how everything is going?

Bird Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 22 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson