Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Male conure, 1 year old. Usually active and alert. Now

Customer Question
Male conure, 1 year...

Male conure, 1 year old. Usually active and alert. Now lethargic, sleepy, thirsty. Eats occasionally. Gave vitamins in water. He is not quite puffed up. Stool green and watery. Does he need to see a vet? Temperature does notm indicate fever.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. What is the bird's name and age?

Name is ***** ***** months old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about TIKI?

He goes through a repetitive head movement very slowly up and down. Occasionally lets out a squawk/chirp

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/23/2018
Bird Veterinarian: Dr G, Bird Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr G
Dr G, Bird Veterinarian
Hi I’m Dr G and I can help you with Tiki. I have 18 years of Avian experience.
This is definitely concerning. The fact that he is sleepy and lethargic is worrying. Birds are really good at hiding being sick so if they are acting ill, they are usually sicker than you think.
An infection is the most likely cause and I would strongly suggest this bird see a vet as soon as possible. Gram negative infection (bad bacteria overwhelming good bacteria in the GI), yeast infection, Avian Chlamydia, are all possibilities.
In the meantime, putting him in an aquarium with a heating pad on low under half of it (Not in with him) with a towel as a lining and just his food and water is kinda like bed rest for birds and will help him conserve energy.
I am unable to do a phone call. I will opt out for another vet if you would like but Avian vets are hard to come by on here and you might have to wait quite a bit.
The stool that is green and watery....is it the clear liquid part (the urine) or the darker snake looking part (that is the poop part) that is green and watery?
My conure is lethargic and sleepy and very quiet
He does not appear to be feverish
can I send a 6-second video?
Birds don’t really get feverish. Their normal temp is much higher than ours, at around 108.
Were you able to read the response above?
I know you can post pics, I think it will take video too. I’m happy to look at it.
Shall I use the "+ add files"? Or can I email it?
thank you. I will take him to the vet.
You may bill my account $28.00
You can use the add files if you would like me to look at the pics or videos.