Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have some quail that are sick. Loss of weight, sleepy a…

Hello, I have some...

Hello, I have some quail that are sick. Loss of weight, sleepy a lot, egg production down, some are puffed up. One died recently and another is showing signs. I'm concerned whatever it is is contagious and I don't want to lose anymore birds.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the bird. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?

They are full grown and raised on the grouned but I keep their run clean.

3/23/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You're correct to consider an infectious and contagious disease but the symptoms you posted aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. They're signs of "sick bird syndrome" - a highly nonspecific array of signs. If you have a sizeable flock it's important to refrigerate (not freeze) a newly dead bird or sacrifice a badly ill one and refrigerate it and have it necropsied in order to determine cause of death. Any vet can send a carcass to his/her veterinary reference lab for necropsy or your local county poultry extensive office or veterinary teaching hospital pathology service can do this for you. Regretfully, quail are susceptible to a variety of infectious, non-infectious, and parasitic diseases. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.