Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Her head is drawn down and her tail is down. She will only…

Customer Question
Her head is drawn...

Her head is drawn down and her tail is down. She will only eat mealworms. I suspected a crop issue, but cannot even feel anything in her crop. I've had her in my house for 3 days with a heat lamp in the bathroom on a towel, and have been making a water concoction of probiotics, electrolytes, and I add granulated garlic, a tiny amount of apple cider vinegar, and antibiotic. I pour some in a bowl and add a piece of bread and put mealworms on top. She pecks the mealworms out so she gets a bit of fluid with them but that's about it. She's a sweet bird and I hate to lose her but everything I've read is somewhat dismal because she seems like she is full of fluid in her body as she is heavy, but it's not in her crop. All the conditions that she could have say she will die except one.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bird's name?

Goldie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Goldie?

She's lethargic and over the past few days she has labored breathing. She's about 2 1/2 and was laying recently.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
3/22/2018
Bird Veterinarian: August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist replied 1 month ago
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist

I'm August Abbott, owner of an animal rescue org.& state preserve wrkr. I cannot provide phone svc, but will compose a comprehensive reply for you

What kind of bird are we talking about and how old is she? Other birds? As many details as you can provide will be very helpful

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is a Wyandote hen. About 2 1/2 years old. Yes, there are 4 other hens and a rooster. They are well.
I forgot to add that for the past 2 days she has had some diarrhea

Where are you located? How is the environment where the chickens are kept? Has this flock had any innoculations or did they come with any?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Vacaville, CA. They are free range but have a coop they sleep in and lay eggs in. They share a pasture with 3 horses and 3 goats. I bought them from a breeder and they had their shots already. BTW. There's no blood in her stool.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'd like to know how to drain her abdomen from being so swollen. I think that is what is making it difficult for her to breathe as she is not congested but her breathing is somewhat laboured. I think she had pressure on her lungs.

Hey there Vacaville - I'm here in the Sac area !

Chickens actually have very small lungs, but 9 air sacs that make up the respiratory system. Labored breathing would involve this entire respiratory system and there are far too many possible causes to list, let alone guess at treating. BUT - the good news is that you were responsible and got vaccinated fowl and are keeping them in what sounds like clean, well taken care of property.

The symptoms you're seeing could be caused by a number of things, from a simple exposure to a disease that may already be in the others

You can see more about this, check here Click

--- I’d eliminate the garlic and antibiotic which could actually work against her immune system by eliminating good bacteria together with possible bad. Ideally you need to know in reality, specifically what she’s got.
The probiotics and vinegar aren’t typically harmful and you’re doing a good job with soft/wet bread and mealworms; you can use chick starter as well or try a mash with chick starter soaked in warm water or unflavored Pedialyte

If you have a vet - it’s time to make a visit. Or at least arrange for them to a fresh fecal exam and to explain to you how to collect the sample and how quickly to get it in.

If you need an avian specific vet and are able to come to either the Citrus Hts or Diamond Springs area, let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. I'll make those changes you recommended. There is an avian vet in Fairfield. I'll get her checked there if he's available. If not I might be able to make it to citrus heights.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How much is the maximum amount of water I should give her at one sitting?

Offer up to a tablespoon, but slowly. If it comes back out, stop (obviously) and wait an hour or so. She should be getting enough hydration from the soaked bread or mash you offer her. While offering her a bit more is good, don't force it if she's rejecting it

And again, let me know if you need to come to C.H. and I'll get you set up. Fairfield is good though - I don't them personally, but I have heard nothing but good about the vets there for farm animals. They even make house calls - so you might want to check that option out.

Please be sure to let me know what happens either way ok?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will
Bird Veterinarian: August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist replied 29 days ago

Checking back in with you. What's going on?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I took her to Sunset vet and had an Xray and ultrasound done. She had a huge egg stuck cockeyed almost sideways in her oviduct. She had also developed peritonitis. Sadly I had to have her put down. My husband buried her this morning and i made a grave marker.

Oh, I am SO sorry for your loss. I know how devastating this is after everything you did for her. I could tell that you bond to your birds - they aren't 'just birds' to you. I'm the same way. I've lost a couple chickens in the last year to predators that roamed in daylight hours. It broke my heart then and it still hurts today. I started the chicks in my home and they were tame.

If you need to talk - if you need reassurance that this was not your fault and there was nothing you could do on your own, I'm here for you ok?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thanks for your support.
I learned something in case it happens again. Hopefully out won't. Im going to add calcium supplements to their feed like the vet suggested and hope for the best.

There are some regular feeds that have additional calcium as well. Tossing out greens like mustard greens, turnip tops and kale are helpful too (high calcium content) and of course eggshells (crushed)

I'm here if you need me.

If you don't mind, please rate our interaction so I can remove the question/close it. You can always re open it if you need to, but I can't take it off my board without a rating.

Thank you and again, my most sincere condolences for your loss

August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS