Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a conure and a lovebird who have small feathers

I have a conure...

I have a conure and a lovebird who have small white feathers coming out around their necks and are not usual. What causes this?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the bird?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the bird seem to hurt?

They don'y hurt

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name and age?

Gracie-10; chachie-5

3/21/2018
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist

I'm August Abbott Cert.Avian Specialist; ownr N.CA Parrot Rescue. Allow a few minutes to review & respond (please ignore site offers for phone svc)

Where do you live?

How long have you had these birds?

Do they share a cage? If so, how do they usually get along?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I live on Whidbey Island, WA. I've had the parrot (conure) for 10 years and she don't share a cage with the lovebirds. There are two lovebirds in one cage but only one has the small white feathers.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that's doesn't share a cage

Thanks for the info - we're having some unusual weather aren't we? I'm in N.CA - spring started yesterday, but forgot to tell mother nature.

I'm seeing the same thing on some of the birds in the sanctuary here. Looks like feathers out of a feather pillow doesn't it?

Sometimes a molt happens this way, a little 'sloppy' . I think that's what you're seeing.

If the birds eating normally, droppings and behavior overall is normal - it would be fine to wait a week or so to see if it resolves.

I've pumped up the vitamin A in the diets here using human baby food, sweet potatoes, squash and carrots. They tend to eat more in the form of baby food than the actual fresh food.

It makes for stunning feathers when they are nutritionally topped off.

If you notice actual bare spots starting up - just come back here to this same question and let me know. But I wouldn't expect anything but self resolution as we get through this time of year when nearly all birds start looking a little raggedy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you for your answer. My love birds are rescue birds and are afraid of people's hands and won't eat anything fresh, just seeds. I do put supplements in their water. I'll try Vitamin A. I've never had this issue with the conure. Anything else?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
21 March 2018 02:28thank you for your answer. My love birds are rescue birds and are afraid of people's hands and won't eat anything fresh, just seeds. I do put supplements in their water. I'll try Vitamin A. I've never had this issue with the conure. Anything else?

Why a negative when I've been trying to help? I don't understand. Another vet here added,

"she's seeing normal downy/powder down feathers (or perhaps bristle, filoplume, or semiplume feathers) and so a molt well may be in the offing just as you told (her)" .

I own N.CA Parrot Rescue (ParrotRescueCalifornia) and I work while actually in the sanctuary. I was called away by one of our crippled birds (beaten by a human) who once again forgot she has no use of her legs and tried to climb down the side of her enclosure. My apologies for the delay and for whatever I might have done to cause you to hurt my standing here with a negative. What can I do to rectify this? This is the only way I fund the sanctuary

August Abbott, CAS
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry you feel this way but grateful you let me know the consequences of my rating. That being said I have reviewed my question and your response and actually it is VERY good. I have absolutely no reason why I chose to select the negative rating. How do I fix it?
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS