Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Her head is tilted right down on one side but she is getting…

Her head is tilted...

Her head is tilted right down on one side but she is getting around ok and is standing on her perch she is eating and drinking ok too what could be wrong

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bird's name and age?

It's roxy and she is nearly 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roxy?

She is always sleeping with her head down and has never really been an active bird she is very quiet

3/21/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Which type of bird is Roxy, please? A head tilt most always is due to a vascular accident (stroke, embolism) in the brain of pet birds. Strokes can occur due to atherosclerosis in birds just as is often the case in people. Excessive fat in the diet has been incriminated. What has Roxy's diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of her diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

She is an exhibition budgie she eats mainly trill and millet and won't eat anything else

Thank you. Regretfully, these "seed junkies" are badly malnourished and you're seeing the inactivity and stroke that can arise due to malnourishment. For now, add a liquid soluble vitamin supplement such as Oasis brand to her drinking water as well as a calcium supplement such as Calciboost or Calcivet. You should be able to find these supplements where bird supplies are sold. It can be a challenge to get these birds to eat properly at this late date. Here's a trick for how that might be accomplished: http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/using-our-foods/small-bird-conversion/

Regretfully, there is no specific therapy for stroke. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you for your reply I will get her what you requested and I will try to get her to eat a more balanced diet.

You're quite welcome. That sounds good to me. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.