Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Our Budgie bird is bleeding, and I am not informed as to…

Our Budgie bird is...

Our Budgie bird is bleeding, and I am not informed as to whether or not they menstruate.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sure Bird feels you are doing your best. What seems to be the problem with Bird?

The bird is bleeding from the area where an egg would drop. Is the bird having trouble -- should I make a vet appointment?

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bird?

Budgie bird, age 4-5 months we do not know if it is male or female

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I dont' have a photo or a file please help asap
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/17/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and i'm here to help.

I can take your phone call.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm sorry -- I can not purchase the call. Let's finish the communication via message. I would like advice on the bird. I can snap a photo with my phone and send. Would that help;

I want to start by letting you know that you are correct to be worried. Birds do not menstruate, so bleeding from the vent does indeed indicate some type of medical problem.

Bleeding from the vent can result from bleeding in the digestive tract, the urinary tract, or the reproductive tract. All three come out of the same hole.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok. What is my next step/ is there a specific person I should seek help from locally to see the bird
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can i send a photo?

Birds are also really good at hiding all signs of an illness or injury until it's quite severe, so it's always prudent to seek medical help sooner rather than later. With that in mind, it would be best to seek attention with a local vet as quickly as possible.

Not all vets are willing to see avian patients, so it is best to start by making a few phone calls to your local vets to find out who they recommend taking your bird to.

Yes. Click on the paperclip icon to upload a photo.

Also, in the meantime, while you seek medical attention, it's important to keep your bird warm enough so she won't be fluffed up. This is the most important first aid step to take.

It's possible this is something simple, like a broken blood feather near the vent, but all other causes of bleeding from the vent qualify as medical emergencies.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just ran to snap a photo
I'm reading your messages

You can also find an avian vet near you by visiting www.aav.org and using their "Find a Vet" feature. Please be prepared that in many locations you'll need to drive upwards of three hours to have access to an avian vet. It's a difficult thing to get to sometimes.

I'm awaiting your photo.

Please rest assured that sending me your photo is not as important as getting your bird to the vet. I don't want to cause a delay that may endanger his care.

Got it.. Looking now...

Unfortunately, the photo is very blurry and I cannot tell for certain the location of the bleeding. I can, however, tell that it is a significant amount of blood and you will need to seek medical care immediately.

I'm so sorry to cause such worry, but it's important for me to be honest with you.

Managing something like this at home can be very difficult, and it wouldn't be hard to do things that could potentially make things worse. It's much better to get her to the vet so she can be in experienced hands. I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Better photo, yes.

I'm worried, too. :-(

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok. thank you it looks like the place we would take it to closed an hour ago. Im looking around

That's more blood that we'd ever want to see. Extra heat and get her to the vet as quickly as possible.

So sorry you're going through this.

If you can, please send an update when you can.

I have to go offline now...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you so much for your advice

You're very welcome.

I'm so sorry I had to disappear in such a hurry. I had a cat come in with heart problems. I'm back online now. Were you able to locate a vet?

Just checking in to ask how things are going for your little Budgie. I've been worried.

Thank you,

Dr. Jo

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank y0ou or checking in
He got 3 stitches and a little cone around his neck

Oh, my! So it must have been a little cut, then. I'm so glad you are so observant and were able to get him the attention he needed.
I'll send along my best wishes for a speedy recovery. I hope he's back to 100% in no time at all.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

If that's it for now, please take a moment to rate my response with 5 STARS so I may receive credit for helping you today.

Thank you for using our website.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian