Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

During the night my chicken looked like she was having a fit…

Customer Question
Hello, during the night...

Hello, during the night my chicken looked like she was having a fit and we thought she might need to be put down but today shes stood up, having ago at me and is eating and drinking like nothing has happened. Shes inside as she broke her leg and it was healing but seems ok now, but too cold to go back out

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your bird's name and age?

Gwennol and is 18 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gwennol?

Not that I can think of, her breed is cream legbar is that helps at all

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
3/18/2018
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you describe for me what you witnessed and are describing as a fit, please? We do see seizures in hens but they're usually a central nervous sign of a more general infection such as by paramyxovirus, the equine encephalitides, or West Nile virus and these hens are quite ill and don't recover as you've described.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Lots of flapping about with her wings and she didn’t stop when lights turned on, only when she was picked up
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She didn’t appear to do anything that looked or sounded like a fit the whole of yesterday and last night. Stood up talking to me, eating and drinking fine.

Thank you for the additional information. I never argue with success and so I would simply continue to monitor Gwennol for abnormal behavior. There is an autosomal recessive mutation in domestic fowl producing a strain of chickens with a high seizure susceptibility. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 30 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian