Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My duck has a swollen Knee?? I guess you could call it the…

Hi My duck has...

Hi My duck has a swollen Knee?? I guess you could call it the knee. It must hurt cause she drags that leg when trying to get around.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your bird's name and age?

No name, but around 2 years old... and shes a layer

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your bird?

Don't think so, its been about a week now and not getting better

3/17/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about your duck with the swollen leg joint. I'm so sorry you are having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in ,what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

In the meantime, in order to help me help you better, I'll need some more information. To start with, can you please tell me:

• Are you able to post a photo of the swollen joint on your duck's leg?
  • What is your question for me today, please?

I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply. Thank you.

I could post a picture.
My question... what would be the best remedy to treat this swollen knee? Antiboitics? The knee is warm to the touch.

Good question. Antibiotics are a good choice IF this is a bacterial infection. Bacterial infections *can* cause swollen joints in ducks, and they are a more common cause for a swollen joint that's warm to the touch in a 2-year-old duck than, say... a tumor. Those are more common in older ducks.

Also common, however, are fractures. Antibiotics aren't going to help a fracture.

The most obvious cause for her condition would be some type of traumatic injury that you are unaware of at this time. That you cannot see any VISIBLE injury ( puncture/laceration), makes me more suspicious of a sprain/strain/ or fracture/dislocation of the affected joint. Unfortunately, the ONLY way to confirm this or rule it out would be for you to visit an avian vet and have her leg radiographed.

In any waterfowl, we also have to always be suspicious of any type of infectious joint process that could be developing and that could make your duck painful, lame, systemically ill, and definitely require bloodwork, xrays, and medical therapy to affect a cure. Ducks are very prone to a condition called Septic Arthritis, and without qualified treatment, it can be debilitating and cause deathIf you cannot pursue veterinary care at this time, than I would at minimum place your duck in a restricted area that is heated and dry for a period of 2-4 weeks. Ducks can be pilled easily via manual pilling by hand or by feeding a small bread ball, or by using Children's Pediatric suspensions. You can use Ibuprofen at the following recommended doses in your duck for a period of 10-14 days to see if you notice any improvement in her mobility/lameness with anti-inflammatory therapy and rest. For an average sized Peking ( 4-8lbs), you may give 25-40 mg of Ibuprofen orally every 12 hours. If you are using a Children's Suspension of Ibuprofen, they typically have 100 mg per each 5 ml/cc of liquid, so you will have to measure your duck's dose carefully and give her approximately 0.25cc of liquid every 12 hours. Ibuprofen can also be purchased in a 50 mg strength in the tablet form over the counter, but you will need to find a pharmacy that carries that strength, and at that point, you could give 1/2 tab ( 25mg) every 12 hours to your duck. Ideally, we use a non-steroidal antiinflammatory called Metacam for most of our sick ducks in private practice, but you would need to find a vet that might dispense that to you without a doctor/patient relationship and that is not considered ethical or advisable for obvious reasons! In case you should find a vet willing to help you out, the proper dosing of Metacam for Peking's is : 0.1-0.2 mg/kg SID If your duck does not show improvement with this type of symptomatic care, than either an infectious process requiring antibitiocs and/or a much more serious traumatic injury has occurred in the affected limb and you should seek care by an avian veterinarian or possibly a food animal practitioner in your area that would be willing to do a housecall! For help finding an avian vet near you, please visit the directory at the following link: http://www.aav.org/
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Ok, She's a Kaki Campbell and weighs about 6lbs
Thank you Dr. Jo.
Applicate your help.
Will keep you posted.

Glad to help. Good luck with everything, and I hope your Kaki recovers quickly.

Thank you for using our website.