Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Swollen foot. 2 or 3 weeks ago, problem with foot. Saw

Swollen foot. 2 or...

Swollen foot. 2 or 3 weeks ago, problem with foot. Saw regular bird vet and gave antibiotics and pain meds for foot. He said it could be a sprain or infection. After done with antibiotics, at recheck, foot better but not 100%. Vet said see how it is but if persists bring her to specialist. After about a week, bird toes curl and she trys to avoid weight on it. It is also now swollen. What can it be?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the bird can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the bird's name?

Lulu

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lulu?

She's 40 years old

3/16/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Lulu. I'm so sorry she's having trouble, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

Can you please tell me what kind of bird she is?

Are you able to upload a photo of her foot?

To begin with, the most common things to cause swelling and lameness in the foot of a middle-aged bird like this (that gets a little better on antibiotics and pain medications) are:

• a serious injury like a sprain or strain that just needs more time to get better
  • gout
  • development of a tumor

I agree with the recommendation to see a specialist if things aren't getting better. Good bird vets can be hard to find.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
after this pic her foot got swollen some

Thank you for the photo.

While it's difficult to know for certain from a photo, I'd say gout is a potential possibility, but I'm more concerned about the chance of a tumor up near the kidney. That can cause lameness, weakness, and some degree of swelling.

At Lulu's age, I would be inclined to take this seriously and investigate it thoroughly with an experienced avian specialist.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She has an appointment with an avian vet Tues. How would one find a specialist? And is this something that can be remedied?

I would assume your avian vet is a specialist. You should be good. A true avian specialist will have the letters DAPVP (avain) after the DVM in their name.

Additionally, you can go to www.aav.org and use their "Find a Vet" feature to locate an avian vet near you.

I understand how urgent and important your question about if there is treatment available for this is, but- unfortunately - we cannot know the answer to that question until we have an actual diagnosis. It's just too soon to know.

I know how frustrating that can be, and I'm really sorry you're stuck in that situation. You can rest assured, however, that you're doing everything that needs to be done simply by getting Lulu into the care of an avian specialist.

Oh! I see now I made a typo above. The letters after the name of an avian specialist will be:

John Doe, DVM DABVP(avian)

I do hope this information is helpful. I know what it's like to worry.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can help you with. If that's it for now, please take a moment to rate my response with 5 STARS so I may receive credit for helping you today.

Thank you for using our website.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian