Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Have a 12year old cockatiel who seems quieter than usual…

Customer Question
Hey we have a...

Hey we have a 12year old cockatiel who seems quieter than usual today & has started ‘vomiting’ what looks like digested food. Should we be concerned ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the bird eat anything unusual?

He does a lot of ‘grazing’ but I can’t think of anything in particular

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?

Not sure if he has done a poo since we starting taking note

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/14/2018
Bird Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 4 months ago
Heath Wilkerson

Hi Dr. W here. I'm sorry to hear this! Vomiting in cockatiels does concern me if it continues beyond 24 hours in duration. It's hard to say what could have caused it. If it is transient and lasts less than 24 hours, I would not be concerned. I will be on and off-line periodically over the next couple of hours but I will definitely respond to you if you are able to answer back. How long has this been going on? Does he have any galvanized bells or toys that he could have chewed on (this contain zinc and can be dangerous). Has he chewed up any toys that could cause an obstruction? Has his food changed recently right before this started? Thanks

Bird Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 4 months ago

I realize that you might not be able to respond, but I hope this helps and I will be looking for your response in case you can. If not, I hope this helps! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! Please remember to accept my answer, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

Bird Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 4 months ago

Hi, I'm checking in to see how things are going? Please remember to press RATE OUR CONVERSATION in the top right hand corner of the post--f you don't I will not receive credit for having helped you. Thanks!