Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My daughter's parakeet flew into a window and we are just…

Customer Question
My daughter's parakeet flew...

My daughter's parakeet flew into a window and we are just looking online to see the "normal" systems and how to treat. We have him in his smaller "travel" cage which we use to take him to different parts of the house safely. It's a clear thick plastic cage with some metal doors. I have a hitting pad on low under the cage to make sure he is warm. We are playing some calming budgie music we used when he hurt his toe a year ago and seemed to work well in keeping him calm. He stepped up to a ledge on his own. Right now he seems tired. His breathing is still a little faster than usual but has slowed down from when he first stunned himself. I know hitting a window an be scary and sometimes cause shock. But I also know the trauma of riding in a car and being at the vet can be equally jarring. So what are "normal" signs that we can keep treating him at home vs take to the vet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name and age?

Felix. 1 1/2 years. He hit the window about 20 mins ago.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Felix?

It looks like he might have hurt his beak a little bit. After it first happened he was making a weird "ticking" sound but he stopped them and then opened his beak like he was yawning 1 or 2 times. He opened his wings like he was stretching. And then he climbed onto the perch. Seemed like he was trying to calm himself maybe

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
3/13/2018
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Hi. My name is***** I’m sorry no one has gotten to your question prior to my coming online now. Accidents like this can happen! How is he acting now? A lot of times the big injuries from accidents like this are very apparent right away - broken legs, wings, blood feathers, etc. You are doing great by having him in the smaller enclosure to let him rest. Getting rest for an hour is typically the big part of them clearing the cobwebs of no more significant injury happened. If he’s perching, breathing pretty normal and being interactive - the I would be very hopeful nothing bad is a result of this.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is still perching. Breathing better, too. We moved him to a room that has a little less sunlight & no drafts. We put his water & seed bowl in w/him. He took a few nibbles of the seeds. Added a spray millet & he took a nibble. He is moving around a little on the perch — like from one side to another — and napping. When we calmly & quietly talk to him he turns his head toward us. So hoping that he is clearing the cobwebs and just resting from the trauma. So as along as he keeps perching, eating/drinking some, responding to us and breathing normally, we could continue treatment from home, correct? I just don’t want to add to his trauma & shock w/an unnecessary car ride & trip to our local vet. They have trained avian vets but also treat dogs, cats, etc and while our dogs & cats & birds get along, the dogs in the vet’s waiting room bark a lot more & get more aggressive when they see a bird in a clear cage!
It sounds like he’s doing very well at this time at home! Him nibbling at the seed, perching well, and being interactive all are great signs. I would honestly feel that continuing what you’re already doing at home for a day would be best. The trip anywhere would add to stress and time and rest seem to be the best for him. I would have high hopes he’s not going to be affected long term by this. At home with birds, typically dark, quiet, warm and humid areas do a lot for them! Sometimes this is best accomplished with a bathroom and the shower turned on to get steam. I wouldn’t feel that is needed now for him, but keep this in mind if other incidents happen.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
How is the little one doing at this time?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello. He is doing great! Back to his normal self & routine. He progressively kept getting more active & eating and drinking the day of the incident as we kept him in his clear plastic travel cage in the darker, quieter room. By bed time, we were able to move him back into his regular cage which is right next to my daughter’s bed so that he has a companion @ night time.
I’m glad he has done as well as he has! I was very hopeful this would be the case based on your initial observations! Hopefully he can avoid future accidents!
Is the little one still doing well? I’m hoping things are still looking good with him! If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. If you can, don’t forget to rate my help. Thank you! Take care.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian