Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a flock of 14 chickens. My rooster, who is about 10…

Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a flock of 14 chickens. My rooster, who is about 10 months old, has developed black spots on his comb. It is not frostbite. I’ve had my hens get a little frostbite in the past so o know what it looks like. These black spots are coalescing and may be spreading towards his beak. They cannot be rubbed off. He does not act ill. Although I have had 2 of my 3 year old hens die over the past 2 months. Thank you Christine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bird's name?

Charlie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?

He is a Light Brahma who I purchased as a pulley from Murray McMurray hatchery

3/12/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

No worries. You had helped me once before, a couple of years ago.

Hi Christine! You appear to be describing the dry form of avian pox virus. This is a relatively slow-spreading viral disease of chickens that is characterized by eruptions and scab-like lesions on the skin, combs, wattles, and inside the mouth, as well as diphteric or plaque-like lesions in the mouth, esophagus, and the upper part of the trachea (wet form of avian pox virus). Mosquitoes have been shown to spread the disease in chicken flocks. There's no specific treatment that is effective against the pox virus. Good management, inlcuding mosquito control reduces stress in infected flocks. Vaccination is currently the only method of controlling fowl pox and so consulting with an avian vet (www.aav.org) who can supply the vaccine should be considered. Most birds affected by the dry form of pox will go into remission within a few weeks unaided. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Is this fatal? Will it spread to my other chickens?
Would a photo be helpful to confirm this diagnosis? Because it sounds terribly scary

No, please note that I wrote the following above: "Most birds affected by the dry form of pox will go into remission within a few weeks unaided." Yes, your others may become clinically affected in the same manner. It's rarely fatal although the wet form of pox is more worrisome. At this time there's no evidence of the wet form, however. Yes, I'd like to see a photo. You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Thank you.
I have attached some photos.
EDCB67DA-BD8B-4FA3-9F55...jpegEDCB67...jpeg75DC7159-9415-4889-91AD...jpeg75DC71...jpegF5607491-4DDB-4AF3-A17D...jpegF56074...jpeg70903D49-D5BE-4333-8D26...jpeg70903D...jpeg598A6017-5818-479C-8F7C...jpeg598A60...jpeg

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

Excellent photos of the dry form of avian poxvirus. Charlie's prognosis is very good. You should see the lesions clear up within three weeks of their appearance. There's no treatment needed. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you very much.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Hi Christine,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?