Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a 2 year old cinnamon cockatiel. We woke up to a

Customer Question
I have a 2...

I have a 2 year old cinnamon cockatiel. We woke up to a noise in her cage and found her with her right leg turned around. It appears broken. There are no emergency vets in our area. What can we do for her?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the bird?

The leg is bent backwards. She can move it slightly

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the bird seem to hurt?

Right leg

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the bird's name and age?

Gimli 2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?

She’s chirping & seems ok.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
3/11/2018
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with Gimli. Please remove her perches and place her food and water on the cage bottom along with her. Don't attempt to splint the leg until it's examined by an avian vet (www.aav.org) and the best approach to the leg is determined. Splinting is usually possible but the splint must be applied properly lest it delay rather than hasten healing. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?